QC or PlugIns

Hi there,

Since I bought my first NDSP PlugIn, I play this PlugIn more than my real Pink Taco.
It sounds just as good and I’m more versatile.
Now I’m thinking about buying more plugIns or the QC. Since I’m just playing at home at the moment, I don’t need anything portable.

My question is, does the QC sounds better than the PlugIns? Does it feel better? Can you feel the latency difference?
These would be the only reasons to get the QC instead of buying more PlugIns for me.

Thank you!

I don’t use plugins, but have had a QC for ~20 months.

My understanding is that people who have dialled in plugins think they sound slightly better than the equivalent models on the QC.

On the other hand, people who have a QC tend to lose interest in buying any more plugins.

It’s a great bit of kit, but as far as sound, feel and latency go, I think you’d be hard-pressed to find differences one way or the other.

The main benefit IMO of the QC is access to cortex cloud to download others’ captures.

2 Likes

Thank you! This is so helpful.
I think you are right.
The plugins sound so good, it is hard to imagine the QC would be any better.

1 Like

I have both. The QC is not necessarily ‘better’- it’s just more versatile.
I can get comparable tones out of either.
The plugins have a fixed signal path vs the QC where anything goes- I think this may account for those who think the PIs sound better (it’s just harder to mess them up)

As much as I love the QC, sounds like it might be overkill for your situation.

2 Likes

This is good to hear.
When both sound equally good, I will use the sale at the moment and buy some plugins :smile:
I think you are right, the QC is overkill for me at the moment. I can get it later when I start playing live again.
Thank you for your very helpful answer!

1 Like

I have 5 plugins that I use on Imac (I have a Duet 2 sound card) and 5 days ago I purchased the Quad Cortex, I mainly play Jazz so I mainly use “Clean” sounds.

the Plugin I mainly use is Tone King Imperial MK2 (the others are Archetype Cory Wong, Soldano SLO 100, Archetype Plinio x and Archetype Mateus Asato).

Having said that, considering that my favorite styles are in the territory of modern Jazz, blues, fusion, the Tone King and Archetype Cory Wong plugins are the ones I personally prefer for dynamic response and, compared with the models available on the Quad Cortex, I have the feeling that sound slightly better precisely because of this characteristic… in fact one of the reasons why I purchased the Cortex is the prospect of future compatibility with plugins which, in this way, could be managed for “live” use with unmatched agility and flexibility comparable to a laptop.

1 Like