QC numbers report (latency, send levels, etc.)

This isn’t changing anything, as soon as Row 3 is used in any ways, every signal gets a latency penalty. Even if you mute every block in Row 3 and just use the blocks in Row 1.

Ideally CPU1 and 2 should be completely separated (optionally) between Row 1/2 (CPU1) and Row 3/4 (CPU2) so that your idea actually works.

edit: your solution might actually work! Ha.

edit 2: there are still some caveats, using a FX Loop in Row3/4, for whatever reason, drags latency down on Row 1/2, even if the loop is not used there.

**edit3: This is bugged somehow. Putting the FX Loop in row 3/4 raises latency in Row 1/2 by almost 5ms (while not using it mind you), putting the FX loop in Row 1/2 only by around 1ms.

1 Like

With INPUT 1 on Row 3 ? (My Pic)

with the FX Loop in Row 2 i get 212samples of latency (4,4ms), dragging it in row 4, 429 samples (8,9ms) of latency using Row 1/2.

changing the FX loop with a simple cab, same thing happens. Staying in Row 1/2 I get 244samples of latency with a cab in row 4, while the cab in row 2 results in 212 samples of latency.

So you actually make row 1/2 worse latency wise with a block in row 3/4 even if you dont have any path going from row 1/2 to Row 3/4.

If you connect row 1/2 with row 3/4, you get a massive latecy penalty regardless of content in row 3/4.

its all very unintuitive. Latency monitor is badly needed.

5 Likes

Thanks for measuring and reporting the numbers…

Hello everyone! I was hoping that someone here could in summary answer my question:
What is the latency of the QC as an audio interface (sending stereo audio/over 2 channels into and then out of the QC) compared to other audio interfaces? Is QC average, above/below average, poor/excellent?
I’m trying to do real-time audio effects processing via a DAW and synthesizer software, and I’m determine if I should purchase a separate audio interface to get the lowest latency or if the QC is okay.

Thanks for any information!
If I don’t get good info I’ll create a separate thread.

Specific latency will depend on what preset / fx block is being used but YouTube has a ton of videos if you search for Quad Cortex Latency etc.

I’ve scoured the interwebs and have seen a lot of the YouTube videos on latency, but none of them talk about audio interface latency, unfortunately.

Hey @Idimata ,

As an audio interface, the QC (on Logic Pro & macbook) can go safely down to 5,9ms.

It is on par with any decent Audio Interface…

If you plan to use effects on the QC, you will have to add the processing latency of the preset/scene to the global roundtrip latency.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you, and I saw earlier that you compared it to the iRig Pro Duo: did I read correctly that you found the QC superior?
Is there a downside to using a different audio interface plus the QC for effects, vs the QC for both the audio interface and effects?
For instance, if I were to find an audio interface with a lower round-trip latency, would there be a downside to using this for the AI part and still using the QC for multi-effects?

Not using the QC as your main audio interface would result in the loss of all the usb routing and related features.

Thank you for pointing this out – do you mind explaining a little bit further?

When integrated via USB audio, the QC uses the USB I/O for routing etc., you would lose all those features if not using the QC as your audio interface.

Another suggestion is to record a DI through another interface if you believe the DI to be superior whilst also monitoring through the QC at the same time. Once the DI is recorded, you can reamp/send it through the QC using that as the interface. This is easier with a DI box however which can split the signal.

1 Like

So is this the final state and we can’t expect any timely updates in that direction?
I don’t know how close you mods here are to Neural, but there really are some people out there who are having problems (grounding, wifi, latency,…) and it would be really nice if NDSP would take an official stance on one or the other issue.
Would be something that might give some customers a good feeling, or at least you would get the feeling that the problems are being addressed and that someone is interested in it.
It’s not about “bashing” NDSP, but the communication with difficulties is really below average.
I’ve had the QC for a year now and none of the problems have been fixed. At some point, customers should speak up here.

4 Likes

Super wild that each of the effects loops adds around 4db of gain. I had to compensate for it today when using both. I can hear the boost each effects loop gives if it’s engaged. Especially could tell if I had both loops engaged. How did the unit even get released with that?

Not even received a reaction :frowning:

Hey Brother,
I am with you on many of the things you have mentioned. From my time here in the forum I do know that the Moderator is not an employee of NDSP and when issues are going on he does make sure that the complaint is forwarded to NDSP. Beyond that he does not have any more pull than you are I with them. That is my understanding.

I personally experienced the weak WIFI and ended up getting a different WIFI carrier to solve my issues. Not an ideal fix. I have not had grounding issues or latency issues but am aware that many others have. In the 7 months I have owned my QC I have learned that NDSP is truly a David in the world of Giants. They are a small company that has taken on something that is huge. They do not have the resources of Line 6 (Owned by Yamaha) and the other well established companies. Kemper and Fractal to name a few. It doesn’t make their lack of communication okay, but it does reveal that they are in a trying to do what is next on their plate mode and probably do not have a fix at all for many things. I still like my QC. I do think this next year is going to be one in which they make some good leaps forward. God bless you!

2 Likes

CorOS 2.1.0 had this line added: “ Overall system audio latency has been improved.”

So… OP could you check if and what things changed? :smiley:

3 Likes

Ha, I came straight to this topic to graciously request the same.

@thomasotto , @PydnA , if either of you fancy a bit of homework (please!), would be interesting to see where the improvements have been made!

2 Likes

Happy to run those tests.
I had actually begun compiling a spreadsheet of every amp/effect in every block and exactly how much latency it added by having it in the path. The results have been interesting…

6 Likes