preset volume drop when using loop send and return in/out

CorOS Version: 1.4.1

Describe your issue:
When I use send and return blocks to add a external pedal, the volume remains near the same.
When i use send “line output” and return “line input”, preset volume drop.

Steps to reproduce your issue:

1. Create the send return blocks (i used the 1)
  2. Put a pedal in send return (i used the 1)
  3. Listen the result
  4. Use send “line output” and return “line input”
  5. Listen the result

I expected this to happen:
When i use the blocks I hope there is no change in volume
When i use the in and out lines send and return, I hope there is no change in volume

I have tried the following things:

• Compare both way
  • Try se if we don’t have a configuration that its not default

Thanks!

Hi,

You might wish to check the following:

• The inputs and outputs have their own gain settings - make sure they are at 0db.
  • The inputs can be set to either Mic or Instrument, the latter with variable impedance.
  • The output block on the grid also has its own gain settings.
  • See this discussion (and posted link) on using TS vs TRS cables on Out 3/4: Do I need to boost +6db when using TS Cable to Power amp?
    Output Level set to 0dB is unity gain only when using a TRS. When using a TS you lose half the signal and so a 6dB gain reduction. Note that even if you use a TRS, if at any point you go unbalanced without “compensation”, you will lose gain. So pedals that expect unbalanced ins will typically just drop half of the signal by design (e.g. not make contact with the ring).

Any of these can affect your unity gain.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

1 Like

Actually I have seen this happen. Adding an FX loop block in row 1 is fine. Adding it in row 3 and it is lower on volume. Same ins/out. I realized this when creating a new preset from the main one I use. The FX loop is used RD for my HX mostly. It’s weird but this seems to be a bug.

1 Like

Hey @YehonatanV ,
How are you?

• All in 0 dB or default (that shouldn’t change volume or gain)
  • I use the same inputs and outputs only alter the form that i use.
  • I’m use a pedal, its not make sense use a TRS cable (its a strymon Mobius)

I use de same input and output configuration, cable and pedal, only alter the form that i use this input and output (blocks or in out/lines). Its not make sense alter any point if the configuration is on flat.

Thanks so much!

Hey,
So I think that the issue is with the TS vs TRS.
You can test if this is the case by doing the same only without using any pedals, just a cable.
If all is well, using a TRS (say from Out 3 to In 2) should give you unity gain, and using a TS cable you should experience the volume reduction.

If this is the issue, I’m not sure what can be done with it.
The output connector most likely doesn’t have a sensor and can’t auto-compensate.
You can simply increase by hand the gain on out 3 to compensate.

This is weird, if that’s the case it is definitely a bug and you should report it.
But my guess for this situation is the TS vs TRS thing.

Hi @YehonatanV ,
I used the same mono comum cable to both test. Why i have to use a comum mono cable for block send/return and another cable TRS cable for Send output line and return input lineh?! The hardware is the same, de use is the same, i alter only the position in line. One is “on line” other is in the fine of the same line.

Thanks so much my friend!

Hi @brucegregori , in my case, i’m in the same line, i din’t create a new line for a teste, if i use blocks “send” “return” OK, if i use output “send” for the line 1 and input “Return” for line 3 I have the drop in volume.

Thanks so much!

Def not a tS/TRS cable issue. I use TRS for all sends and returns.

1 Like

If it helps, this is the way I’ve gotten around this:

1. Put a drive pedal (or whatever) in loop 1.

2. Turn on loop 1

3. With loop 1 engaged, disengage the pedal to an off state.

4. Toggle between Loop 1 on/off state, adjusting the SEND level until you are at Unity gain whether loop 1 is engaged or disengaged.

5. Turn the pedal back on. Make sure loop 1 is engaged.

6. Adjust your level and gain on the pedal as you normally would.

This is how I make sure that the gain staging on my pedals is correct.

It doesn’t have to be a drive pedal. Just what I’m using as an example.

Hi! happy new Year! How are?
im using with strymon pedals. no amp. The gains are all in 0 dB.
The problem is “have to put blocks to do something, that the outs naturaly can do”.
I use the same cables to do the both.

Thanks so much!

Hi! how are you!
Happy new year!
I think thats no other thing, its a bug. Ins outs line, or block in row 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 can’t alter the sound.