Pop/noise when pressing footswitches

CorOS Version: 2.2.2

Describe your issue:
Hi guys. At yesterday’s rehearsal with my band I noticed an ADDITIONAL problem to a list of pre-existing grievances with my QC.

Now I don’t know whether the usual pop’s and sounds/hisses are more or less normal to me by now. But this time I got massive pop’s coming through the PA/mixer in which I inserted the two balanced outputs (1+2) of my QC.

There’s a video of this as well that I can post.

Should I mention that I had to send the unit in before because of random freezing problems? Upon nagging the support team, they told me that the RAM was replaced. Of course not a great outcome for a unit which you would want to play gigs with…

Have any of you heard about the loud-pop-when-pressing-footswitches before?

I also have problems with my volume wheel where the volume keeps on fluctuating…probably have to send the fucker in again…

Cheers,

Ben

Always. Mute. Channels. When. Plugging. In. Devices.

This is a rule as old as sound reinforcement itself. Not doing so can damage amps, speakers, or even people’s hearing.

I’ve never had any issues when pressing footswitches though. You potentially have grounding issues in your setup, so the issue is not necessarily the fault of the QC.

You should tell our singer who accidentally knocks the cables at times!

Seriously, Im quite sure that the pops even happen when the two channels are muted. I dont know about the master…but the outputs are quite flimsy so its easy to get it.

Here is a video of the specific ‘pops’ through the PA when pressing the footswitches.

Can you hear it?

It is NOT just the mechanical sound of the footswitch. Listen closely!

Can’t really make out what’s going on there with all that humming going on :grin: To me that sounds like something microphonic. Either a mic in the room picking it up or literally a device that has become microphonic. Sounds almost like a microphone is laying on the floor next to the QC.

I suppose another possibility is a signal level that is way too hot. Check the levels on the I/O (swipe-down) menu on your ‘INPUT’ and ‘OUT’ connections.

Or, you could have a hardware/firmware problem on the QC. Seems like first you should narrow things down to determine if the problem is actually on the QC.

What are you monitoring with, just the PA? Does your PA use a power amp(s) or powered speakers? Try knocking on your equipment to see if something has become microphonic. I would check to see if this happens when you record a track on your computer. Also try it with just headphones plugged in.

Try tapping on the QC and the back and front of whatever you are monitoring with. Do you hear the tapping being amplified? If you are also using a tube amp, try tapping the tubes lightly with a pencil to see if they have become microphonic. Make sure you have no live mics on in the room (just trying to cover all bases). Try swapping out cables. That sound should definitely not be happening.

2 Likes

This issue happens to me on my of my analogue pedals. I press it repeatedly several times (of course cables disconnected but powered) and the issue is gone (could it be accumulated static?)

Strangely enough i just happens on the same venue every time. Maybe something with the stage electrics?

Does it happens at home also? Other rooms/stages?

If you’re plugged into a mixer, could the phantom power be on for the channel(s) you’re using. It’s crazy how some folks units get all the problems. I’ve had zero problems with mine. No hiss, no hum, no pops. The connectors on mine are all quite solid. Same with my buddy’s QC. The connectors look to be Neutrik, even says so on inputs 1 and 2. I’m curious, what about the connectors on yours? Do you get the pop if you wiggle the cable connectors?