Playback of audio files

I would really like an audio playback block! Loading audio files onto the QC via Cortex Cloud or Control in a similar way to presets/captures/IRs seems like it should reuse some existing functionality, making this simpler to implement.

I think this type of block would work best with momentary activation as on the Freeze effect. A variety of playback modes would seem to meet a range of different needs:

1. One-shot mono - play entire audio file when triggered and stop at end of file. If you trigger the block again during playback, playback starts again from the beginning of the file.

2. One-shot poly - play entire audio file when triggered and stop at end of file. If you trigger the block again during playback, a new playback of the audio file begins again layered over the previous playback. For example, if your sample has a reverb tail - you want to trigger the sample again without cutting off the previous reverb tail. Suggest a maximum number of polyphonic layers is enforced to keep life simpler.

3. Phrase - as #1 but triggering the block during playback interrupts playback. Option for interrupt to pause/resume (first trigger pauses, second trigger resumes from paused position) or stop playback.

4. Loop - as #3 but continuously loops the audio file until deactivated.

Fade in / fade out options for modes #3 + #4 with adjustable time (up to say, 10 seconds) would be nice for the folks wanting full backing tracks.

I’ve spent my vote on this version of the topic, but there seem to be a number of different feature requests asking for similar things to this. With the votes added up it seems to be quite a popular idea.

2 Likes