Pedal Request: BBE Sonic Maximizer

I understand some people have strong opinions about this pedal, but I would love to see NDSP release a pedal that achieves what the BBE Sonic Maximizer does. I believe it’s one of those unique pedals that can’t be truly captured as it does specific things to the tone.

Have you tried the captures of it?

3 Likes

FYI, there are BBE’s available as NDSP captures and on the cloud available that work nicely!

1 Like

Could you please link me? I did look and couldn’t find any.

Isn’t there a capture of it included in the factory captures?

1 Like

There are several BBE captures that come with the QC out of the box. Refer to the manual for which model / capture etc.

1 Like

I use this in every rig, between my amp block and cab - really makes it sparkle. Look under factory captures > bank 25. There are 4 flavors to choose from, each with their own gain, low, mid, high, and volume. Cheers.

4 Likes

Forgot to thank you. The captures do an alright job in the face of nothing however, I’m hoping that Neural give us a modelled one with tweakable parameters. Do you know what each capture of the BBE equates to on the real pedal? The lack of description and details makes it hard to know what settings on the pedal were captured.

1 Like

Wow that made a big difference! Especially when recording the QC.
Thanks ever so much!
I use version 3 of the captures between the amp and cab.
D

3 Likes

Ok, I added this on faith. I’ll let you all know if I dig it, too. Thanks for the tips.

1 Like

Seeing this is a feature request I’ll leave it open, but if you find the captures are satisfactory please let me know so we can close the topic out.

1 Like

Im glad this post resurfaced as, having tried the factory capture “BBD SonicMax 3” placed between the amp and cab as @Rekt and @dannepop have suggested… what a difference.

Tried both guitar and bass. Yet another “didn’t know it was there” tool (another unopened present). Makes me wonder how many people use the actual pedal and how it compares.

1 Like

I had the original 2-knob BBE Sonic Stomp pedal years ago and used it at the end of my pedalboard chain (4CM). I let it go once I sold my 100-watt tube amp to fund my QC.

The sweet spot for me was Lo Contour at 10:00 and Process at 2:00. It was an always-on effect for me, so I wound up mounting it to the bottom of my pedalboard in order to create more space on the top side.

For those who don’t know, the Sonic Maximizer is intended to…

1. Correct phase differences between bass and treble frequencies, which travel at different speeds through cable
  2. [I thought I read somehwere that it can] Fill in “dead spots” where frequencies can get lost or canceled out

^^^ This is the part that musicians, particularly guitarists, have debated about for decades. In my experience, it really does clear up the whole signal, and it’s more than just a glorified EQ.

The QC produces captures with gain / distortion / EQ curves, and the capture process works on a Sonic Maximizer, but that’s not the whole story of what the Sonic Stomp or the 482i / 882i rackmount units are supposed to be able to do.

I don’t know if, or how, Neural can touch BBE’s method for signal processing, but I think it would be awesome if they could. I’m officially putting in my vote for a dedicated Sonic Maximizer block.

EDIT: Here’s a link to the 882i rackmount unit manual, it’s got some more technical info in there.

Look for pedals only. There’s an icon at the top where u can pick amp or combo or pedal, etc. Hit pedals. It makes it easier to find. They’re there. I see them all the time. I used to have one a long time ago. I can’t even remember what it sounds like. Good luck. FYI just saw it under neural captures it’s called BBD SonicMax. That’s the BBE pedal.

The captures are cool, but I’d be very happy for a model with knobs so the frequencies aren’t a mystery. Thanks!