Factory QC Models and Captures, Great third party captures and the Man Behind the Capture

1. What are your opinions / thoughts on the factory models and the captures?
  2. Do you think in general you can get better third party captures than the factory captures of the same amps?
  3. Suggest some great captures on the cloud and the man behind the capture.

I’ll throw in my 02 on these questions. I think the factory captures are far superior to the models or at least more usable than the models. But I also think there are better captures from third parties of the same amp on the cloud than what you find stock in the unit. Not sure if that’s around dialling it in, etc. If you can give suggestions of capturers who do a good job on the cloud can you let us all know?

Sweetwater Studios has some phenomenal captures where the cab is baked in etc. I think captures are going to differ depending on the tone / EQ of the amps / drive etc. NDSP captures sound great as well and you might find a 3rd party capture of the same amp that works better for you. Also, ValeIR makes some great captures for the QC!

2 Likes

Yeah I got a sweetwater one the other day but i still have to try them out. The ValveIR ones are good too depending. I think the MiniRec one which is free at the moment from them is good.

I can recommend the captures from AmpGuru. If you’re into high gain there is a great one of the Driftwood Darkest Nightmare. I noticed they have also done kemper profiles historically and they have a website where there is quite a lot of capture packs, etc. although they look quite exp. There are some free on the cloud though. Would be good to know from others which people gravitate to or who does good captures generally. I think there will definitely be a shift towards users known for their capture ability on the cloud. Even the popularity filter helps a lot, saves a lot of pointless testing.

1 Like

STL, Sweetwater Studios, DeividHellsFire and HeadfirstAmplification have some of my favorite captures and presets but there are so many to choose from!

1 Like

Currently Ampguru has a holiday sale running, can scope out there info from their link

Did you get any?

I like the amp models in the QC, but I think a high quality capture is superior.

I currently use commercial third party JTM45, Friedman and Fender blackface captures that are absolutely fantastic.
They make the QC really shine, both in sound and especially in “feel” when playing.

IMHO, they are as close as you can get to playing the real amp and they really showcase QCs capabilities.

3 Likes

Here’s the link to the captures, by the way:

Maybe we can create a list somehow of good 3rd party captures.

4 Likes

DeividHellsFire sure had some nice captures, I´ve got some work to do when I get home. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah I think it varies by the amp which is modelled. Some are good, some not so good. I agree on the captures and in general I’ve found the bought ones do tend to be much better than others on the cloud.

1 Like

Try Sweetwater Studio’s captures as well on the cloud, they have been some of my best go to captures for a while now.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, new here. Just got my QC yesterday and I’m really enjoying it!

Question about factory captures: do they have a cab “baked in”? Or are they just captures of the amp, with no cab involved?

If they do have a baked-in cab, what happens when you’re not running a cab block? Does the QC somehow remove the cab from the capture, like the Kemper does?

Thanks.

The Factory Captures are all only amp. You have to use a cab block or IR block afterwards.

“If they do have a baked-in cab, what happens when you’re not running a cab block? Does the QC somehow remove the cab from the capture, like the Kemper does?” - Im not sure if you mis-worded this but they aren’t baked in so if you have a baked-in capture i.e. amp & cab, then that that will just be one block and you’ll know as the block looks different. You can find baked-in captures from other people or third parties on the cortex hub. It wouldn’t make sense for Neural to do baked in captures with a cab because it gives more options with all the cabs at your disposal anyway.

In summary:

• Is the QC capable of having baked in cabs? - Yes
  • Do factory captures have a cab baked in? - No
  • Where do you get baked in captures? - Cortex Cloud from other users
  • Do models have a baked in cab? - No
2 Likes

Thanks, that’s great info. :beers:

Reason I ask is because I’m using the QC into a solid state power amp + real guitar cab (ISP Stealth Pro + Mesa 2x12), so I’m not using a cab block.

Cool. Then yeah you’d wanna turn off the cab block.

What is cool is that with the routing, if you’re on a stage or live, you can have a cab block going to the desk/FoH and just use the poweramp and cab yourself for on stage. The routing options are one of the best things about it.

2 Likes

They’re useless to me because I use a real guitar cabinet so I wish they would not bake them in together.

Then just find DI captures, also available via ValveIR and Amalgam to name a couple of vendors

I just explained above that they aren’t baked in? You have all the options at your disposal. Not really sure what else to say.

I was talking about Sweetwater not yours.

Dan, I was speaking of Sweetwater’s captures. Thank you though.