Option to turn off power amp simulation

Hello!

A question for Neural DSP. Will there be an option to turn off power amp simulation? That would be nice if you want to use the Quad Cortex with a tube power amp and a cab.

Isn’t there a list of preamp simulations in the QC or am I confusing this with the Helix? With preamp simulations of all the modeled amps you don’t need to 'turn off power amps" but just use the preamps straight ahead with physical power amps.

Welcome, BTW :smile:

I think you are confusing Quad Cortex with the Helix. The Helix has preamps.

Here’s the latest device list and there are just amps, no preamps:

It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but it would be nice to have the option to run the Quad Cortex through a tube amp :blush:

Also, thanks!

You are thinking of the Helix… According to NDSP there is not a global on/off right now which kind of sucks but it did sound like you can turn it off individually (according to a comment dan_ndsp made on a thread at the gear page).

According to one of the earlier ‘planned update’ lists they are planning to do stand alone power amps which is a big one for me personally. This would allow you to use a preamp in the loop and add power amp and cab simulation with the QC.

1 Like

I asked this very same question in email to their support.

Here’s what I said:
**Hi there, **
I’d like to be able to run my quad cortex through my fender twin. I saw that the outputs on the quad cortex are TRS not TS, Will I still able to run it through my guitar amp? Thanks

Neural:
Yes, you will be able to do so. You can use it as a “pre-FX” processor, “post-FX” processor, disable the cabsim to use a real cab, and many other methods.

Me:
Awesome. Would you recommend using an XLR to 1/4 TS cable?

Neural:
You can use a TS/TRS cable from the outputs 3 or 4. Otherwise, an XLR to TS from the outs 1 or 2 should work.

1 Like

If you disable the cab you’re still getting poweramp modeling. So I’m guessing they expect you to use a clean/flat/linear/whateveryoucallthat poweramp, otherwise you’re doubling up.

In general it would be really nice to get some global flexibility, for instance locking a block in the Kemper is a really powerful way to deal with all kinds of situations.

3 Likes