On/off of effect blocks individually using (external) MIDI CC

As I understand the current MIDI implementation, it is only possible to “remote control” the switches A-H using MIDI CCs and perform the corresponding actions depending on the active mode (preset, scenes…). While this is neat as such, I would like to be able to play in preset or scenes mode and switch separate effects/blocks on/off individually using an external MIDI controller. Could you please make it possible to assign a CC to each block for external (de)activation while playing?

I agree this would be quite powerful and useful, and I’d go further to define a superset of general block parameters - volume, mix, pan, gain, etc, and allow those to be toggled/mapped as you can via expression pedal

2 Likes

It would be nice if it was possible to use a midi controller to extend the number of buttons.

In my use case, I would like to give control to a second guitarist…for exemple, give him the ability to control (activate/deactivate) 8 blocs without interfering with mine…a sort of extension of the A to H buttons.

But more options will by welcome!

2 Likes

I was thinking this week that having a Midi CC for each Block position would be awesome. So that once I program the map between my controller and the QC, no matter what I do the same button will control the bypass for any block in that position.

For example: Preset 1 has a gate in the first position of the first row. I map that position to midi CC 1
I build a new preset and it has a compressor in first position first row. my mapped midi will now control the compressor.

That would be 32 CCs.

Same could be done with parameters. CC 33 could be mapped to 1st control of 1st position of 1st row.

Same could be done for mapping control of splitter/mixer.

1 Like

I’m late to the party, but today I was just thinking about something like this.
The current implementation of MIDI is a bit weird: very flexible at preset level, but assigning 1 MIDI message to a switch really doesn’t fit either with the concept of stomps nor of scenes.
What would make sense to me, since those message are controlling external effects, would be to introduce an External Effect block (or whatever you wanna call it), where you can define what sets of message you send on On and on Off, or even - as a stretch goal - define internal parameter that map to e.g. CCs so as to remotely control the external unit’s parameters. Having it as a block, you can assign it to a switch in stomp mode and show the state it is in, or you can recall different states in different scenes. I think this would make so much more sense with the rest of the UI. Maybe the only gripe would be that it would have no impact where you place it on the grid, but eh, I would totally live with that.

This may happen in hybrid mode release 2 (even though we don’t have one out yet!).

But it would be good to have the quad on scenes and the midi controller in stomps. I can kind of get there with presets and stomps or scenes. But the really all that extended.

I so agree with this! 32 “blocks” and only 8 switch options is totally frustrating!!! I have a thought that may be a simpler route to go. Add “virtual switches” which have midi cc#s preassigned just like the buttons do now. (This is a variation of the previous 32cc comment) it just may be easier to implement since it is just duplicating the existing code and terminology. It could also be integrated into a new “switch bank function” where if you don’t have an external controller, you could “bank up” to get to a new set of switches. I think the main reason this kind of control is needed is because of the patch change delay. If they can fix that, then everything would be much easier. The patch change delay is not “inevitable” since Fractal, line 6, MainStage, and now fender have figured it out…