Need tips for blues tones

Hi all,

I am having trouble finding good blues tones on the cloud or with the built in amps. I have found some good rock tones, but I haven´t been able to find a good Philip Sayce tone, or SRV, or anything bluesy that I can feel happy with. The stock amps sound really bad for this purpose (at least on my unit). Could somebody please let me know a good preset or point me to something that I am missing?

I play through a Sennheiser HD650 headset most of the time, and sometimes I play through a KRK classic 5 monitor.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

2 Likes

I get a good blues tone using a Soldano on the clean channel split into a 4x12 and 1x12 and pushed with a jan ray or a TS

2 Likes

Huh. I have a problem choosing from so many options. It’s filled with great amps for blues.

1 Like

I would try the Redplate captures. They are really very nice and can be beefed up with some overdrives as needed. I am also one of those bluesy / jazz player and very picky with dynamics and the space between clean and overdrive. Good luck

If you don’t mind paying for captures check out https://www.amalgamcaptures.com/

They seem to be aiming at a lower gain more classic style of amps and presets. I just purchased their Friedman Smallbox package and it’s excellent. I used to own the amp and it’s spot on if not better than what I remember.

:metal:

5 Likes

Try the Morgan 50 model. It takes pedals well and gives everything from clean to edge of breakup and more.

6 Likes

I love that Amp on the QC.

1 Like

A few of the scenes on my 64 Super Reverb preset might help you out:

5 Likes

Sounds great thanks.

1 Like

Thank you all for your suggestion.

1 Like

The beautiful thing about the blues sound you seek is its simplicity. It should be as simple as a Fender style amp (deluxe is great) and an overdrive pedal. There are both models and captures of numerous Fender amps on the QC and Cloud.

The trick is to dial in the best clean sound you can, as a default. Once you’ve got a good clean sound, then you throw some grit in there to spice it up. But, to me, it always starts with the best clean you can get.

2 Likes

Love your handle here! Thanks for sharing this. I think this is something I will really like.

1 Like

He’s got some great all-in-one combo captures that are really nice. I’d recommend checking them all out. Really good low- to mid-gain setups

1 Like

Thanks, Brian. Hope you dig it!

1 Like

Thanks, Xush​:sunglasses::facepunch:t2:

2 Likes

In addition to a good clean tone, I like setting an amp/cab to a clean tone that sits right on the hairy edge of breakup. Such that an overdrive pedal can create sustain, dirt, and some character while still keeping an articulate tone. That edge of breakup is also where a fairly subtle effect like a treble booster can push the tone into even more rarefied dirt but not mush.

1 Like

Does your QC have enough headphone output for the HD650’s?