My Battery Powered QC Pedalboard

Thanks for the inspiration to go the battery route. I really like how compact your build is @dws2384.

I already have this Pedaltrain Metro24 so that’s what I’m using. I’ve currently got this mounted to a DW drum stand to make it easier to work with from my desk. A desktop app would definitely help with that aspect.

I’m still trying to find good quality compact USBC PD wall supply that can support 12V/3A direct to the 529M when desired. In the meantime the power supply for the battery works well.

1 Like

Do you even need the 529M? the power bank can output 12V 3A according to the amazon page through the DC-out.

@Powerplant I don’t need the 529M if I want to unplug the QC from the battery/supply before powering it up. The battery defaults back to a 19V setting with each power cycle. The 529M forces the selection of 12V. It’s kind of lame that the battery supply doesn’t retain its last setting. There may be other (cheaper?) options for forcing the USBC voltage selection that I haven’t seen. Also, if you go that route note that the polarity of the DC cable needs to be reversed.

That DC out could come in handy to power a secondary board with a few pedals in the effects loop because that would be getting plugged and unplugged each time and I could verify the output voltage before connection.

Ok
I Will get a 528m as Well
Thanks

Remember you can get a myvolts ripcord 9v to power any pedals with a daisy chain.
The ripcord supports 1.33mah output so you should be able to power many pedals thru the usb-A output from the power bank.

1 Like

This USBC PD to 12V cable from BlindSpot may also be useful. It’s spec’d at 12V/3A. The center pin polarity is positive and the QC requires negative so a polarity reversal cable or connector would be required for this cable to work. I haven’t tried it.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1619192-REG/blind_spot_gear_bsg_1302_023_01_power_pipe_usb_to.html/qa?sts=pi&pim=Y

Thanks for sharing. I’m going to give this a go.

I’ve ordered the 529m and the same battery.
One question I have is what cable is required between the 529m and the QC?

It’s just a USB C cable. I used one from an iPad

Sorry, I meant the cable out the other side of the 529m is it just a standard 2.1mm pedal cable?

Yeah, the DC output on the 529M is a 2.1mm center pin negative connector. Full specs are here:
https://missionengineering.com/shop-2/products/power/529-m/

Great. Thanks for confirming.

I can confirm that this USBC PD 12V cable from BlindSpot works if you invert the polarity to center negative.

1 Like

Hi - so with this setup you bypassed the 529M but just have to remember to unplug the cable when cycling through the battery voltage?

Also, do you have a link to the red polarity switching 5.5mm to 5.1mm adapter cable? Thx

Hi @OftheSeven ,
I’m using the 529M because I have it. However, I tested with this cable combination and it worked. Because the Blind Spot 12v USBC to DC cable negotiates a 12V connection you wouldn’t need to unplug each time the battery/power supply is cycled.

The reverse polarity DC cable was here:

Here’s another one I picked up also:

Good luck.

I also found that this USB C PD charger supplies 12V/3A to the QC when using the 529M or the BlindSpot 12V cable to set the voltage and it’s relatively inexpensive.

Hi Xjax, just to be sure I understand…
This evatronic USB C Charger can supplies 12V without the 529M ?
You just plug the USB C Charger to the wall, the USBC PD 12V cable from BlindSpot to the charger, the polarity inverter and go to the quad ?
Thanks

@miko73, the BlindSpot cable negotiates 12V from the USBC PD source and outputs DC. Yes you could use this with the Evatronic wall charger. However, the cable is short so you’d need to extend it.

You could use what’s called a USBC extension cable that goes from male to female like this:

Or some kind of female to female USBC connector that supports charging like this:
https://www.amazon.com/BOLS-Supports-Charging-Transfer-E

@Xjax That’s perfect thank you !

Guys I gigged last night with an USBC PD charger, the USBC PD 12V cable from BlindSpot and a polarity inverter cable. And it worked fine ! ! !
So the charger with 1 USBC PD port and 1 USBA port (for my iPad with forscore) :

the blindspot cable which negotiates 12V from the USBC PD source :

The polarity inverter cable :

The Quad worked flawlessly and my iPad was in charge during the gig.
much less expensive than the cioks dc7 or the mission 529M with a PD charger ! ! !

2 Likes

1 Like