Multiple Captures in One

Hi all,

This question/point of feedback definitely goes to the developers of the modeling software, but I was wondering: If the QC is able to model an amp at a certain point within the amps settings, how would one be able to go about modeling an amp at specific settings, and then combining those settings together to get a better picture of the amp as a whole, from say, minimum gain, to maximum gain, for example?

This may be thought about as a HDR photo. Take one photo under exposed, one normal and one over exposed. When put together they create a much more dynamic photo. In a sense that would be the same idea here.

Take a model of an amp at low gain, with low eq settings, one at mid gain and mid eq and one at high gain and high eq. Once put together, the model would, hopefully, act more or less like the amp. I am obviously not a neural network developer, but this would take modeling up a notch, as it would provide a much more complete capture of an amp.

“how would one be able to go about modeling an amp at specific settings, and then combining those settings together to get a better picture of the amp as a whole, from say, minimum gain, to maximum gain, for example?”

IMO, SCENES would do exactly that, allow you to set the amp using whatever variables and saving via SCENEs

Yeah, scenes is one way of doing it, but it’s still not exactly capturing the whole amp in one model, if that makes sense. Scenes is definitely the way to go for now, as that’s the only way to have multiple settings in an amp be available.

But I was thinking in terms of an evolution in modeling. I think that starting with gain may be an easy way to do it at first. Again, I am no developer on this area, but possibly modeling an amp at various gain levels and then combining those amp “snapshots” into one model would provide a more realistic, overall, model of an amp, in terms of how the amp feels and sounds at various gain levels, instead of being modeled.

This could be useful when using an expression pedal to control gain on an amp, and also, it would use less resources on a preset since multiple capture blocks wouldn’t need to be used.

I think this would be worth looking in to. If implemented well, I believe it would really give the QC an edge over other profilers.

Thanks!

Would love it if Neural could figure this out as this is definitely the next logical step for the captures. Having a model of the entire amp with the capture and not just the capture of the amp at specific settings would be a dream.

been thinking about this for a while and im sure its being thought about by modelling companies as its the next pressive step to capturing the amp as a whole. When you purchase kemper profiles from some pro profilers like michael brit, youd often get captures of the amp in as much as 20 different settings. Ideally, youd want all these reference points put in to one variable profile that has these ‘reference points’ captured at their respective stages and then a sort of EQ blend between these points giving you a more true representation of what the amp actually sounds like when the gain or bass etc is in a different position. I guess the software would have to guide you through this and it would be a longer process but to me that would be worth it for authenticity.
I see the vision, but obviously its a complicated one to solve in a neat and efficient solution.

If it were easy to do, then Neural wouldn’t need to actually spend time doing the amp models themselves. So I’m not sure how likely this is to happen.

It would need to be very interactive, e.g. press start, then sweep the bass control back and forth, press finish, then repeat for each control. The variability of how well/accurately someone could do this, multiplied by the amount of controls, not to mention other variables like differences between amps, setups etc., means it would be very hit and miss.

There’s enough junk to wade through online with captures and IR’s already, I would far rather wait for Neural to do a proper modelled version of an amp themselves.

You know, if this is too hard to for an amp, or is maybe too difficult to implement with an amp at this moment, a pedal would be a great way to start. Most of them have just three knobs, volume usually doesn’t matter all that much, and that leaves just tone and gain. This could be an easy (possibly) way start try to get a range of settings in one capture.

1 Like

@Vladi
Great idea/vision :metal:t2:
Very good visualization with the HDR photo. Spot on. A big enhancement, getting closer to overtaking “the real deal” :grin:

Bless

Are you basically asking if this plug can be stacked as if one opened it several times in a daw channel strip? at least its what I think it sounds like…you can have a sequence of plugs…but many plugs are already stacked with IRs, some up to 8 as in the Howard Benson STL sim.

If I understand you correctly, then no. What I mean is that when you are making a profile of an amp, for example, you’d set it at gain 0 and tell the QC that you are profiling the amp at a gain of 0. After that’s done, say the profiler asks you, “would you like to input more steps?” if you say yes, it repeats the process, but this time you turn the gain to 5 and tell the QC that you are at a gain of 5. It then samples the sound, and you can repeat the process with a gain of 10, for example.

When you are done, you should have a only one profile, with multiple points at which you profiled the amp, so in this case 0,5 and 10), therefore giving you a much broader spectrum of how the amp actually sounds at various gain levels, instead of the QC guessing how it would sound if you turned down the gain, because you can do that in the QC, but it’s an “artificial” gain reduction essentially. Still good, but in the other way you can capture the actual amp at those gain settings. Does that make sense?

1 Like