Midi beat clock

Ability to receive midi beat clock to sync with other connected devices, also to send midi beat clock out so tap tempo foot switch can be used as a master tempo for other connected devices.

This is high on my list too. I use a “Selah Quartz” to convert the clicktrack we get from the drummer to a MIDI-clock, which in turn controlls my time-based effects on my Axe-FX. I would hate to miss that option. Alternatively, I’d be happy if one of the inputs of the QC could directly detect the tempo from an audio/click received, so I could save the use of the Quartz. Anyway, I note from the MIDI implementation chart in the manual that the is a CC (#44) for tap-tempo at least. Possible this can be used as a work-around until proper MIDI-clock is available.

3 Likes

Yeah I seen the midi cc thing in the manual. I’ve had a play with it but my existing gear all outputs or responds to midi beat clock which is a global thing,.
Maybe there is a workaround if I delve into it, may be a bit of a faff though haha.

1 Like

Cool, let me know if you find a good solution. Actually I think the Quartz can also do a conversion from MIDI-clock to tap tempo, but I am uncertain if it can output it as a CC. I will check when I get time.

1 Like

Well I sort of got it working, set up one of the assigns on my boss es8 switcher to send a signal via midi cc 44 when I tapped my external tempo switch, first I set it to momentary but when I press the switch the quad goes right up to 240bpm and when I release it goes down to 60bpm. So I changed it to toggle and it worked, although it isn’t very accurate. My boss es8 and eventide h9 sync up nicely but the quad is usually way off by up to 20bpm. It’s a start, but I’d have to set this up on every patch which isn’t a big deal really, but would be so much better with midi clock, and also nothing to set up.

1 Like

Without this capability, there is currently no good way to synchronize the QC tempo from your DAW.

3 Likes

I think this is a bug of some sort, because in logic, if you send midi clock to the QC over usb, you do receive it. It works great, but not over midi cable for some reason. Only guess I have is that it’s a bug.

3 Likes

Bump for this feature request and being able to the have the QC dictate the tempo of other pedals through both tap tempo when changing presets

4 Likes

As I primarily work in my DAW, the ability to tempo sync QC is a MUST for coherent songwriting! Was going to order this amazing creation tomorrow from Sweetwater but looks like I’ll have to delay or look elsewhere.

FWIW, syncability is CRUCIAL for working with a DAW and THIS a large community that’s seems to be being ignored at present. Puzzling as sync is so fundamental to songwriting/composing/playing

Hopefully my email query will get an answer :heartpulse:

5 Likes

Does this also open the door to built-in Ableton Link support (without using the QC as an interface)? Since the QC has WiFi it should be able to do it, though I’m not certain what it would take to compile those APIs.

If that’s a separate thing I might open a new request.

2 Likes

Yeah, Ableton link would be really cool here.

3 Likes

Bumping this. Can’t believe it’s not already a feature. Should’ve been a day one function.

7 Likes

Bumping this again. In my band I play guitar, synth, and operate the brain/master clock unit. I REALLY need to be able to automatically sync the QC to pull this off.

4 Likes

Well, I have the same problem. From my iPad live I send the clica and the midi clock to the rest of the devices and I was hoping to be able to do this with my quad cortex… I have tried everything and I can’t… really a disappointment.
I have also requested help from support and nothing.

Someone has managed to send tap tempo messages or send from the tempo of a certain song to the QC from a master device

Thanks

1 Like

Please, please pardon my ignorance. Is this about syncing up any Delay you are using? If you are using a DAW with the QC, why can’t you just save the tempos to the QC preset of that particular song?

Again, I think I’m in the dark in completely understanding what this feature request is, so my apologies.

Yes, I explain.
I don’t use a Daw this time. Specifically, I use the bandhelper app live from my ipad and transmit the midi clock information to my different devices via bluetooth … I already have a Helicon VoiceLive 3 interconnected (to which I transmit changes in the voice delay), a GR55 synthesizer by Roland and a Beatbuddy pedal for the beats. They are all perfectly synchronized and to them I transmit both program changes (preset change) and the tempo of each song.

I have tried everything and read the manual in depth, but I have not been able to transmit the tempo of the song or the Midi Clock to my Quad Cortex (if I have achieved the program change). This is why I need the device to have this functionality.

Such an expensive and high-performance device should imply this.

Thanks

1 Like

Plugged into the daw is fine via usb, if I’m playing with a live drummer with no daw as I’m not in front of my computer I need to use midi to sync up all my pedals via midi din cable and midi beat clock with a tap tempo switch. If my drummers had too much coffee he plays faster so saving tempo per patch will not work, besides humans never play at the same speed ever.
My h9, chase bliss tonal recall and future impact synth pedal all work flawlessly, the QC totally ignores midi beat clock via midi din cable.
Midi has been around for decades and is simple compared to all the other stuff going on in the QC.
After almost 8 months I really thought it would be implemented by now.

3 Likes

Yes I know I can use the tap tempo on the qc, which would be fine if I didn’t need to sync with other gear, but I need it in sync with other pedals else I need to tap the qc then my other pedals and because of my shitty timing it will never be right :joy:
Also it’s a right faff tap dancing all over the place!

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. I get it now. :slight_smile: it doesn’t really apply to my me, but I hope it gets fixed for those who need it.

1 Like

Hello again
It doesn’t have to be so difficult to implement this functionality in such a modern device, right? and more when it already does it through the USB port and you just have to adapt it to the MIDI ports …
I have several quite old devices that have it implemented and work perfectly as a line 6 floor plus … and it is almost 15 years old!