Kemper Player

I’m really intrigued by this soon-to-be-released Kemper. Small form factor and company/software/community maturity has me considering trying it out.

Anyone here getting one?

I’m intrigued. I’ve never actually played a Kemper. I think it would be cool to use it with traditional pedals on a pedalboard. I think it’s gonna put a dent in the Tonex marketshare.

1 Like

Hello :slight_smile:
I’ve been a longtime Kemper user but I also bught a QuadCortex about a year ago. Since my Kemper is in my rehearsal room I don’t use it at home anymore. So I got used to QC for many diferent situations and I also used it life with another band.
Now I thought that I would love the Kemper Player for it’s size for traveling and as a flexible unit. So I ordered and recieved it some days ago and I’m tensing it for the first time in comparison with the QC.
I’m used that either with studio monitors (or for traveling IK-Mulltimedia iLoud) or with my 2x12" speaker with V30 I geht this “WOW-effect”, like instantly great sounds (with professional captures of course) wihtout a lot of tweaking. With the Kemper it also works fine, I just think that I had better results with the QC using the studio monitors.
I don’t think that in a band context you would notice a big difference regarding sound.
But keep in mind that on Kemper Player you only have 2 pre and 2 post Effects (until now, they seem to be working on a payed upgrade) and that the signal chain is not flexible at all.

Be aware that Kemper’s approach is a totally different one than the one of the QC (/Helix/Fractal). Most obvious in the pretty limited routing capabilities (regarding the presets), which was always the reason a Kemper wouldn’t do it for me. Also IIRC the Kemper Player has no Midi Input, which is a big no for me too. But that’s only my opinion - maybe you have the possibility to try one for a good amount of days (e.g. in Germany you can always send stuff back to Thomann for a period of 30 days and get your money refunded) and see if it suits your needs :raised_hands:

I’m not defending the Kemper Player but it does have Midi over USB. Totally ridiculous but it does have it.

1 Like

Sadly midi over USB is pretty useless for live use. I dont understand how they could think that not adding conventional midi ins an outs is a good idea :thinking:

2 Likes

No I tried the Kemper. I didn’t like the feel. The ui is tiny and the rig manager was a pain to deal with. Most of all the feel needed external pedals to help it out. The quad’s feel, sound and UI is way better. I’m not interested in being tied to a pc and I don’t plan on using plug ins. I will always prefer amps but there’s room for both.

1 Like