Kemper DI vs. TwoNotes Captor

Hi All,
New to the QC world and am trying to better understand captures.
I want to capture a couple of tube heads I own.
I believe I’m going to grab the (older) TwoNotes Captor, and using the DI out (no cab sim) so I have the best capture of just my head…and then I can add an IR in the QC. Someone correct, but I believe that will work fine.

I do however have the Kemper DI box (had a Kemper that I sold to get a QC). I know the Kemper load process is a little different as their DI connects to your 4x12 cab, so the cab is taking the load instead of the ‘box’. My question is - can I use the Kemper DI with the QC? Can I just run it the same way I would when doing a capture with the Kemper?
QC Capture Output into my Amp
Amp Output into Kemper ‘from amplifier’
Kemper ‘to cabinet’ to my 4x12
Kemper ‘to profiler’ into Input 1 on the QC

Any advice is appreciated. Would rather not fry my QC after only owning it for a week :slight_smile:

Thanks!

You should be able to use your Kemper DI box.

But I don’t think it acts as a Load box.
So you’ll have to make sure that your are also connect to a cab or you’ll damage you amp.

I’m sure someone has tried this already here.

Should work great. Just make sure you run whatever speaker cab after the Kemper DI. Just like if you were playing your amp. Your amp needs to see the speaker load.

I reached out to QC support and they recommended not using it.
I purchased the Fractal X-Load. It captured my JMP-1 and Marshall 100/100 power amp perfectly.

I was having some issues getting decent captures with a Captor until someone mentioned on Discord to also connect the Captor to a real cab when capturing. This changes the impedance/load that the amp sees. I suppose that is true because I ended up getting my best captures that way.

Interesting, maybe I’ll give that a try.
I ended up buying the Fractal X-Load and it has the ability to connect a cab.
So far (even without the cab), it has been excellent.

Hey I have been wondering the same thing as I also have the kemper D.I box and am considering using it for direct amp captures. However if the fractal x load can spare my ears of the horrific capturing sounds from having to have a cab taking the load I’m all in. How are you routing everything when performing D.I captures with the x load?

Is there any reason why it’s not recommended?
Seems like a straight forward job it does: reduce to line lvl…

That is odd. If the amp is seeing a proper load from the cab and the line out the the QC is at a usable level. It seems like the Kemper box should be fine.

@ndsp_staff could you comment on this please?

I’m not with Neural DSP staff, BUT–

• Two Notes Torpedo Captor: Load box or speaker-thru; line level output

• Fractal X-Load: Load box or speaker-thru; line level output

• Kemper Profiler DI-Box: Speaker-thru only; line level output

If you have any of these devices, you can use the line level output from it for captures in the QC.

As other users have said, if you’re using the Two Notes Captor or Fractal X-Load in a load box configuration, you may get different capture results than with a speaker-thru configuration.

For the Kemper DI, since it is not a load box, you must plug its speaker output into the speaker cabinet.

These devices are not complicated and getting line level signal out of them isn’t rocket science. I don’t know why Neural support told @BBN (back in 2021) that using the Kemper DI-box is not recommended, but many users have had success capturing with direct D.I. output across the board. Just make sure you’re doing it in a way that is safe for your gear (and safe for you).

1 Like

I understand what the device does, and it not being a loadbox…made my share of kemper profiles with it.

I just want to clarify why support said it wasn’t adviced…and on the other side of the coin…why kemper states on its site “only for making profiles, not for other purposes”.

Doesn’t gel with my assumption that the device simply reduces to line level.
Impedance is 800k…seems manageable for the QC

I think you’re fine to to go ahead and try using it for captures for your QC. You don’t have to take my word for it though. Email both Neural and Kemper support directly.

Neural doesn’t respond to a tag like i did?