Amp capture using DI method

I recently purchased a fryette ps-100 and have been using it for amp captures. I have the filter switches set to flat. For anyone else using the ps-100 for capturing, what settings are you using on the power station? This got me thinking, what is the best DI box for getting the most transparent amp capture? Please share comments on your preferred method for DI amp captures. Thanks!

@Romartin I’ve been using the Two Notes Torpedo Captor 8. I just make sure the IR switch is off and that I have my speaker cab connected and it works like a charm.

1 Like

I use the PS1 as an attenuator only, i go from amp speaker out to BSS 133 DI, thru to PS to speaker so i can hear what is going on, you can crank the amp at manageable levels, from the di box a xlr to capture input1 in QC, gives me the best results but miked captures sound best i.m.o and some amps are difficult to capture di, that is never a problem with mikes.

Thank you for sharing. What I did last night is set the power station to bypass mode, which eliminates the attenuator load completely, and then used the xlr out to the quad cortex. I used the amp speaker as the load I guess you could say, which I feel give the most natural response. It was loud as hell doing the capture that way, but I’m hoping it’s the most transparent method for capturing the amp.

I guess it boils down to the same idea, getting the attenuator out of the equation, i have not tried going direct to the speaker from the di, i might give it a try, see if it makes a difference, still prefer miking though.

1 Like

this is indeed the best way to capture the response of your amp/cab. It won’t necessarily yield more pleasing results (because subjective), but it will definitely be the most accurate way for your personal rig. You can also use a suitable DI box in the chain that can handle speaker level loads for this instead of the fryette.

1 Like

Sorry for bumping such an old thread.

I’m having an issue trying to use my PS-100 as a DI Box.

1. Guitar into input 1
  2. Engl Founder Endition Input out to Capture out
  3. PS-100 XLR out into Input 2 of QC? Is this correct?

I have my mesa 2x12 plugged into the PS-100 with bypass enabled.
When I try to capture, I’m not getting anything from the amp side, only guitar.

Am I doing something wrong?

Not sure how to read this. Just to be sure, this is how the capture process works:
QC capture out ------> input of target device
target device out -----> input 2 of the QC

Also, make sure that input 2 is set to “Mic” when you are using an XLR cable.

Hmm I’m still not getting anything on Input 2 of the QC even setting it to “Mic” and XLR.

I finally figured it out. Ended up using it in silent mode on the ps100 with an XLR to TRS