Is anybody using a MIDI controller with the QC? I have a question

If you use the QC in Stomp mode, and you switch scenes via MIDI… does anybody know if they have fixed the thing where, if you were using a MIDI controller to select scenes but had the unit in Stomps mode, if you changed a scene, the stomp state wouldn’t change?

Example: If I had a rhythm sound without a delay, if I turned it on, but then switched to a sound without a delay again, the green light would stay lit? That happened until you cycled modes, when it would reset to the correct state.

It’s hard to explain but using MIDI, do the FX states actually work?

I have this very same issue. If an overdrive is toggled on in stomp mode during Scene A (for example) switching to scene B (without the overdrive) then back to Scene A retains the overdrive in the Scene. It’s frustrating as I want to toggle on a stomp but only temporarily.

The follow on scenario then increases the frustration as the stomp mode doesn’t have a definitive on/off state, only toggle mode. This means switching on the overdrive becomes inconsistent between. I’ve sent a message turning on the O/D, selected a solo preset but now the Overdrive is toggled off. It doesn’t make sense or help.

Having stomp CC messages where 0-63 = off and 64 - 127 = on, would go a long way to helping.

I think what you’re describing is scene revert? I can’t recall exactly what Neural call it but what you’re describing is possible with the later revisions of the firmware.

Mine is specifically about using MIDI and the on/off status lights. If I turn on an OD, switch scene via MIDI, the light stays lit even if the new scene has no overdrive turned on…

1 Like

I have seen variations of this theme on so many different modelers and external MIDI controllers. Their tendency to allow the modeler and controller state get out of synch seems unnecessarily limiting and frustrating.

Ultimately, I think the MIDI protocol needs to be enhanced such that there is always two-way communication that indicates the state of the block. I would also add preset/scene name to an enhanced bidirectional protocol.

That way the controller and modeler states could stay in synch. Using bidirectional communication should be the standard for modelers and controllers. With all new modelers able to provide switch state (and preset/scene names) back to the MIDI controller, and all controllers able to reflect that state properly. Regardless of which preset/scene is selected or if the revert option is selected on the modeler.

Can’t believe how many decades this less-than-optimal situation has persisted for. It often forces musicians to get expensive new controllers from the same company producing their modeler, just to get state and preset/scene name reflected properly. Instead of just being able to use their favorite MIDI controller properly across brands. Very likely a contributing factor as to why there has been little in the way of motivation for many companies to try and modernize the MIDI protocol to address this issue.

I do agree, but why in this instance is a two-way communication imperative? If I hit scene 1 on my MIDI controller, and turn ON an OD, when I hit scene 2 on the controller, it just needs to display which pedals, if any, are active that you can see in stomp mode and not just leave the OD light turned on if it’s off within scene 2’s saved state.

I don’t see how it’s not possible?

Yep, I get your point. Separate CC messages for active and bypass commands, rather than just a toggle, gets you a long way down the road. It still doesn’t solve the issue though of the MIDI controller knowing which state the various stomps are in when you switch to a second scene though without communicating that information back from the modeler to the MIDI controller bidirectionally. Maybe I am missing something though.

Other than bidirectional communication, the only alternative I see would be loading up a MIDI controller with every scene’s active/bypass states every time the modeler and controller were started. Additionally, you would have to update that configuration data every time a block’s bypass status was updated; due to either a preset edit or a footswitch being stomped while the preset was in use.

I am far from an expert on MIDI so maybe there is something already in place to address this but proper state and preset/scene name synching between modelers and third-party MIDI controllers seems to be an ongoing challenge that is most easily resolved by improving bidirectional communication in the MIDI standards such that all new modelers and controllers can take advantage of it.

It’s been half fixed. If I have a preset and toggle the overdrive on, then hit what is a solo setting, the overdrive reverts to off, because of the toggle mode.

Thank you though as wasn’t aware of the fix they’d applied.

Edit: worked out how to do it and it works for my needs!

Has the delay been set with the ABCD state (scene state)?

So, this is using scenes? If you turn the OD on on Scene 1, and go to Scene 2 where it’s off, does the corresponding footswitch light in Stomp mode turn off?

If the block is toggled off, then the light should be off.

I wish that you didn’t have to toggle between stomp and scene mode. Sucks you can’t have a midi controller control (for example) 4 scenes, AND have the 8 switches on the QC control stomps at the same time

That’s exactly what I’m trying to do?

Afaik you are just limited to the 8 buttons. The midi for QC feels basically useless to expand the footswitches on the unit, unless you’re just trying to trigger stuff from a midi controller and keep the QC in a rack.

The midi for the Helix units is way beyond what the QC can do. Hopefully they can modernize the midi in the QC