Internet connection over USB

Is updating and downloading from the cloud locked to Wi-Fi? Could the unit use the USB to get data from a PC with a wired internet connection? I only ask because the Wi-Fi in my studio is a bit hit and miss, but I have a wired fibre connection to the PC.

i would assume that this is limited by the hardware.

I would say that this “might” come about once they have PC editing software. That is just a guess though. I think it is a more controlled closed system over WiFi.

why would you assume that? I think it’s a pretty fair assumption that the QC has all the hardware necessary to do ethernet over USB. The only thing missing is probably a driver.

1 Like

I"m out of votes til the next update, but I’m bumping this thread- seems like this could help a LOT of users.

2 Likes

Easy vote for me. I have never thought of this, but an update over USB makes sense. It seems less volatile than WiFi. It would also be faster. This is currently a software limitation, the hardware is for sure capable of this given how the QC is able to connect via USB. It would require driver updates and device software updates to facilitate the communication, but would be possible.

1 Like

original hardware optimization might leave no room for the additional code that may be required to implement this without another piece of silicon, so i wouldnt hold my breath.

the bus hardware may be able to perform this function, but without a place big enough for the new “software” to live to do it, its never going to happen without a new chip somewhere

Maybe its the engineer in me but…
Why do you want internet over USB? Surely if you’re connected to something via USB, then that thing has internet, so at that point you are just transmitting data?

I would assume this is also already in the works as part of the desktop editor. That could run on your laptop and download patches/updates etc, then you can just send those to the QC when you plug it in.

The other side - how often are people actually downloading stuff? I haven’t connected mine to the internet in at least a month, but it’s really not hard to just go an plug it in near a router if you need to do something.

1 Like
  1. Many people have an extremely hard time transmitting data thru Wi-fi to their QC. That is what this request targets. This is basically asking to be able to hardwire the QC to an internet connection instead of having to do it wireless thru Wi-fi

2. We don’t know that. For all we know the Editor is only a remote control for the QC and doesn’t function at all unless it’s connected by USB. NDSP has always maintained that no local file storage is planned (except for a complete backup file) and wi-fi DL or UL is only possible thru the QC

3. Some of us DL and UL a LOT. Even when moving the QC close to a router some users still don’t seem to get usable signal.

Personally, I never experienced wi-fi issues, but I support this request because it seems to be the biggest complaint for a LOT of users. It would improve QC usability and would result in one less subject to troublehoot, perhaps the biggest one.

2 Likes

what about using the function “Mobile Hotspot” (if it is a Windows PC) to share the network connection (internet) ? Or using pocket router wifi router with an ethernet port ? like " TP-Link TL-WR902AC AC750 Wifi Nano Router"

Yes, many wireless options can be made to work-
this feature request is looking for a HARDWIRED option to eliminate the need for wireless.

2 Likes

in deed. I was courisos about the reason and if another solution would help in a much faster and much more simple way then a feature request.

1 Like

I can’t believe this is not available. It doesn’t have to be tethered to the network. Just be able update without having internet. It is simply done, I have done it with enbedded linux on oses. The USB connection is a serial connection (for you young folks like a modem you see in some of the old movies). Every phone has had that option in one way or another. I would love to say “for this price point…” but honestly cheap devices have this functionally. It is just stupid to not have a secondary path to update your device incase you have an issue with your cloud service like not hashing your passwords ( hint, hint ).

If I sound pissed it is because I am. I just dropped $1800+ on a box that I can’t back up, update and has shitty usb connectors. It would be one thing if no one in world can do it. But the solution for this is so simple. My $120 zoom does it.

Interesting… I’ve never tried it but I think I read somewhere that connecting QC to USB, it starts using the PC/Mac internet connection instead of the built-in wireless interface.

Internet via Ethernet over USB was implemented and now available since CoreOS 2.x.x etc.

1 Like