Instrument vs. Line Level for the QC's FX loops

Hi guys,

I’m loving my QC, but I have a new bass amp (Mesa Subway TT-800) and cabinet (Mesa Subway UltraLite 1x15) on the way and I’m working out some ways of making the two play nice together using the four cable method. One note that I was given by agedhorse over on TalkBass is that the FX loop on the QC will have to be set to instrument level for best results when using the four cable method with this amp.

I don’t see options in the ins and outs section of the unit or in the FX loop blocks to change from the default line level signals to instrument level, but it looks like there is a way of reducing the level of the sends and returns by up to -39.6dB. Based upon what I have read, instrument level is generally either 20dB (when compared with consumer line level signals) or 34dB (when compared with professional line level signals) lower than line level.

I guess what I’m asking is whether the solution here to achieve “instrument level” output from the FX send is just to reduce the SEND LEV by 34dB. Do any of you guys have experience with this? Or is it just a matter of playing around and finding the right level?

Thanks,
Nick

This is a note I kept when working on compiling a QC wiki, many seems to confirm this tip:

the return side of the FX Loops is about -5dB lower than send. So you need to go into that send/return block and increase the volume to keep the same output level.

That adjustment seemed to work for most users; you can try it and dial in the exact amount if you feel it needs more or less- I’d recommend just earballing it at that point

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. I’ll start out low and work my way up and earball it as you say.

Noticed that there are no captures of the mesa tt-800, that’s unfortunate. :thinking:

1 Like

Oh once it arrives I will definitely be making some captures. It’ll be my first time doing that process so I’m looking forward to figuring it out.

1 Like

I recommend starting with the factory settings provided in the manual (pg18), utilizing the DI (for capture). Even if you don’t like them with your cab, keep em. I did that with both of my Mesa amps (prodigy & walkabout). You’ll be surprised how good the mix & match game is. Combine that with IR’s…? The endless Hall Of Awesome!!!

Wish everyone did this. It would make amp shopping so fun… and affordable.

1 Like

Taking my first crack at doing some captures now using the Post Masters DI out on the amp.

Thnx for uploading those captures (tt800). Really like the “tt800 B ch-round r&b.” What do you think? You like em?

*Downloaded them all.

That is the one that I like the best so far too. I’ve been playing around with a few of my own settings today and will eventually upload some more stuff once I get really comfortable with dialing it in. It does feel very user friendly though.