Input level from Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Hi there.

Please I need help with my settings in windows 10 and Focusrite 2i2 and Neural DSP pluggins.

My problem is that even with the input level at -24 in the plugins, and the input knob of my Fosusrite in the lowest position, I keep on hearing and “seeing” the sound “entering” into the plugins.

My problem is that I am trying to control the input level of the plugins via Midi with an expression pedal to simulate a volume pedal. But it is impossible to get the effect because I always hear the input signal.

Please find attached images to explain my problem.

I am conecting my guitar directly to the input of the Scarlett with “inst” activated.

It sound amazing but I don´t understand why I can still can hear the sound even with all levels down.

I hope you can help me with this.

Thank you so much.

Hi @depiscitelli. As you can see in the screenshot, the input knob won’t mute your signal at the minimum value, it will only attenuate it by -24dB. I think you could get better results using the Gain knobs on the amps.

Hi @Gonzalo, thanks for you answer.

Sure, I will try tomorrow what you suggested. My first aproach was with the input to not loose the tone.

Anyway, do you know if it is normal that I still have sound with the input of the Scarlett at minimum? I know this is not your concern because It is not related with the plugins but I would really apreciatte your oppinion…

Thanks.

I’ve seen a few complaints about the Scarlett instrument input, describing it as too hot. So I’m guessing it’s normal.

Other than that it’s a pretty good audio interface.

Have you set the direct monitor to off on the 2i2?

Hi @David ;

Yes, I have It always setted to off.

I am starting to think that the Scarlett does not put the level to 0, just attenuate the signal, just like the input level on the plugin does…

Thanks anyway for your help!

Hi @depiscitelli,

Is it background noise or your guitar signal? If it is background noise, is it still there when you unplug the input jack from the interface? I had Scarlett 2i4 2nd gen before, now I have Audient ID14, with both interfaces, there is background noise even nothing is plugged in. I know high gain amps are noisy, using the gate is OK while I’m playing but it is annoying with tails of the sustained notes. Background noise is less with other brands’ plugins. People use their interfaces with no noise issues in their demos. I wonder if there is a problem with the USB port. I tried to use my laptop with battery power and also use my interface with its own power adapter but no solution. Some people solved the problem with devices like iFi idefender or isilencer but I am not sure whether it will solve the issue. Maybe the noise floors of the beginner level interfaces are high. In his YouTube video Ola addresses this issue. If you have that kind of problem and you can solve it please let me know.

Is it noisy straight into your daw without plugins being used? How are your cables as this almost sounds like a bad cable like a grounding issue. I have the same exact focusrite 2i2 and it is super super quiet. I would try switching cables and guitars if you can and rule those out and go from there.