I want you to solve the QC power supply startup

Hold the power soft button and choose SHUT DOWN. The next time you plug it in, it won’t power up automatically.

1 Like

Hold power soft button. Choose SHUT DOWN. The next time you plug it in, it will not turn on automatically. Problem solved.

1 Like

are you thinking of a different piece of gear, maybe? Because that’s not true of the QC; anytime you plug it in it will boot up automatically.

1 Like

Nope. Just tried it again. Works perfectly every time.

1 Like

Everyone else’s QC boots when power is applied. I’m confused by your comments.

Follow my instructions exactly.

1-unit is powered on
2-hold power soft button
3-choose SHUT DOWN
4-unit shuts down
5-unplg QC
6-plug back in
7-it will not turn on automatically

This is how mine works every time. If I simply kill the power or yank out the power cord, it will power on automatically the next time.

Have a read back through the many replies in this thread. Your QC is behaving differently.

I always fully shut down my QC. I bought an in-line power switch to work around this behaviour.

I have not seen a single QC owner, other than you, report this behavior. Everyone else’s QC starts up as soon as it is plugged in. The manner used to shut it down makes absolutely no difference.

When did you receive your QC? How new is it?

That’s strange. I can duplicate the behavior every time. Mine is two months old, from Sweetwater. Latest firmware.

Hmm, weird, you seem to have a unicorn there. Is anyone else with a recently received QC seeing the same startup/shutdown behavior as @JCW308?

I just got my QC last month. It was a “demo” model so I don’t know exactly how old it is though. I could tell you the serial # but I don’t know if that would help identify this.

I shutdown through the power button, unplug, then plug in, and it powers on immediately. This is how the QC works. I’m skeptical that something isn’t up with the entire setup that JCW308 has going on here.

I would really like this not to be changed at all. If the device loses power at a show, I want to be 100% sure that my QC will reboot as soon as it gets power again. That 30 second boot time is already worrying enough that I’m thinking about a UPS.

If you don’t want it to do that, there are the switches linked above, or just put it on a separate power supply that has a switch, like a four way adapter or similar. Just like you would with a normal pedalboard, as almost every pedal out there turns on as soon as it gets power.

1 Like

You’re opposed to making it optional? I’d be surprised if it’ll happen since it feels like a BIOS thing, but I’d very much like it to be optional so I can ditch the inline switch if I want to.

Straight to the wall. Does it like this every time. It’s great.

Absolutely. Anything that might affect it turning on when you’re in a panic is bad IMO. Turning on automatically is a far better issue to have than not turning on automatically. I would expect anyone using it on stage would feel the same as well.

A hardware rocker switch would have been fine, but obviously that’s not possible now.

I don’t really understand the original issue though. If you want it turned on/off from the device, turn off the power using the soft button and leave the socket power on. If you want to turn it on and off elsewhere, use a switched socket or inline switch.
The issue only occurs when you use both, or want to turn off a load of other stuff with a switched socket and expect all of that to turn on but not the QC.

4 Likes

Again, presently that is by design but if you want to control the power from preventing it to auto power on etc., you would have to connect the power source to an in-line switch of sorts unless NDSP changes that behavior in future updates.

Mine can’t be the only one that is behaving correctly. There must be others out there.

@JCW308 - Hey, please email into support@neuraldsp.com so they can look into this a little bit. It’s not expected behavior.

2 Likes

It’s not the only issue; actually, whenever the device reboots, if you have an active speaker, at least in my case, it makes a very loud bang in the speaker. When getting disconnected or powered on meaning that the device has no protection for handling that smoothly.

Order of operations is important. Turn the QC on before powered speakers and off after the powered speakers. This is not exclusive to the QC, it should be applied with audio equipment in general.

5 Likes