How to stereo in one lane / possible feature request

Because I sometimes run multiple instruments through the QC, I tried to pack a stereo rig (like for example the “Simple Stereo Plexi” preset by RabeaAfro) into one lane.

This seemed like it could be possible, as you can choose stereo out, but I found no way other than using a second lane (or splitter, which I count as a second lane).
So my next thought was to capture a stereo rig (through a plugin). However, because the QC captures only through one input, the stereo signal is summed up to mono.

So I gave up and now I am here. Am I overseeing something or is it like I described and my plan to create a stereo rig using just one lane just isn’t possible?
If so, what would a good feature request be?
And wouldn’t capturing stereo signals be awesome as well? Thoughts?

Stereo amps/captures would be cool and useful. You wouldn’t necessarily need to capture a stereo pedal, but allowing two instances to be run as a single stereo block would still work.

There are also some other stereo-related requests already: one two improve the display diagram to show which signals are stereo and which are mono etc.

What do you mean by that exactly? That one capture consists of two captures which are combined together?

Yes, I saw them. But they don’t cover my specific issue I think.

You would make or take one mono capture of a pedal/amp/whatever, but you could select a stereo version of it to go on the grid. So essentially it would be using two versions of the same capture and processing L/R separately. In the same way you can use IRs as stereo or mono.

Obviously a stereo version would use twice the processing power of a mono one, so you won’t be able to add as many blocks, but it would enable more routing and use of the other rows.

Ah ok, but that is not quite what I was looking for. Because I don’t want to have the same amp+cab in stereo but two different amps+cabs. Like you do when recording guitar typically.

because amps are mono blocks, you would need to use 2 lanes at least for a stereo path with more than one amp. You can make a stereo signal path with one lane only, but the stereo image can only occur AFTER the amp block

2 Likes