GR (Gain Reduction) Meter on compression modules

Another vote, really missing this.

1 Like

I still miss this feature a lot. I’m kind of avoiding compressors so far because of this.

1 Like

Do you need GR meters with amp/pedal drive knobs too?

Technically saturation is an overall gain reduction, and yet we don’t ask a GR meter for this one :wink:

Apples and Oranges :-). You are correct that you are changing some dynamic properties of the signal when you are you using some form of saturation pedal. It may also be similar to a compressor pedal in this regard. But is that the main purpose? I would say is isn’t. You use saturation to generate harmonic frequencies and therefore to change tonal properties of the signal. Which are imho far more audible.

Moreover QC is not marketed as only a guitar pedal. As it has XLR/Jack inputs, sends and returns you can use it almost with every electronic and acoustic instrument you can think of.

Have you ever tried to set up a compressor while singing? Saying something is not useful just because you don’t need it is… weird.

2 Likes

@Predtech that’s not even close to the same thing. Clipping and clean compression are not identical.
It’s generally very easy to dial in overdrive by ear. It’s substantially more difficult to dial in a compressor than an overdrive, because the effect is usually much more subtle.

There’s a reason nearly all compressors feature meters of some sort. Hell, even a lot of pedals have meters. The whole “if you can’t do it by ear alone then you don’t know how to do it” mindset is detrimental for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that it takes a well trained ear to properly use compression in the first place - a fact which is made far more difficult with no GR meters. With the zenui capability of the QC there’s no reason to omit this except maybe for lack of enough dev resources to add it. Most players don’t know how to dial it in anyway - so why make it harder?

4 Likes

Same here, at least for reamping, as I can’t directly feel the compressor interacting.

1 Like

This would be super helpful

I would really like to see this feature in an upcoming update!

very cool but should be unnecessary. Thanks for the insight, just wish it was more like the real thing with meters displaying gain reduction…

HOW ON EARTH is there still no Gain Reduction meter on the compressors in 1.4.0 ???!!

There’s a gain reduction meter on the new INPUT GATE, so the idea is nearly there, just gotta figure out some GUI and we’re good to go. No one on this planet is using the likes of an 1176 without looking at the meter. Jeeze.

1 Like

The Helix does this, I was expecting the QC to do it, having to match I/O by ear isn’t a big chore, but an accurate GR meter is very useful.

1 Like

yes please , this would be greatly appreciated

Gain reduction meter would be a very helpful and essential tool. and seems like a pretty big oversite not to have some kind of meter, Right now it seems like dialing in the comp is like shooting in the dark.

This would be super helpful!

I hope gain reduction meters stop being an afterthought that modeler developers “get around to”. Time for this to become a default on every modeler that sports a screen that can support it. Makes compressors infinitely more useful and easier to dial in. Very helpful to have a visual on when the threshold is crossed, and the attack and decay characteristics. The ability to show gain reduction meters for compressors are one of the great advantages modelers have over compressor pedals. Let’s get it in there! :slightly_smiling_face:

Have to completely agree here. Its pretty contrarian to poo poo a pretty standard and quite usefull feature of any limiter/compressor you would see in a DAW only because “thats the way we’ve always done it on pedals”.

This thing isn’t a stompbox. Why limit it to old tech?

1 Like

From an audio engineering standpoint, this would be a standard feature. On a “guitar pedal,” not usually, but given the QC’s unique powers, this would be great to implement. VU and PPM meters if we are talking about breaking new ground in guitar audio.

Yes, more gain reduction information as to what is actually happening with compression would be very helpful

Woo hoo! Rolled out in 2.0!

3 Likes