Good headphones to use with the QC

in an other thread it was stated that high impedance headphones (300 and up) is important to remove the harsh highs and generally gives a better sound.
I have ATH-M50x and like them but I have not tried better (more expensive) headphones.

1. Is it true that I need high impedance headphones? the DT770 and 990 are within my financial reach but will it make a difference?
  2. Can the QC really drive a 250 Ohm or higher headphones to a fun volume (I don’t want ti kill my ears but I want to not hear the rest of the world)?
1 Like

I have a pair of DT770 Pro 80 ohms. I’ve been using them for years, I love them. I haven’t used them with the QC yet because I keep them at work, I should probably get another pair. I have ATH-M40s but I don’t like them with the QC.

1 Like

I have the Sennheiser HD600 (300 ohms) and Audio-Technica ATH-M70x (35 Ohms).

The Sennheisers sound amazing with every preset and minimal effort (just a quick initial check of I/O settings to prevent clipping).

The Audio-Technicas on the other hand require a tremendous amount of fidgeting with settings to prevent crackling and buzzing.

I’m guessing this has everything to do with the impedance differences, not because the ATH-M70x isn’t a great pair of headphones (they are) or the fact that they’re closed-back instead of open (like the HD 600).

I am a huge fan of the AKG Pro Audio K371. With the advent of Dolby Atmos the ability to mix on cans has become important. These headphones are flat yet extremely pleasing. I find the lows, mids and highs are silky smooth. They are comfortable and not completely isolating which I actually prefer.

https://amzn.to/3H8JfgW

The QC sounds great through my Audio Technica ATH M50s. Their (reasonably) flat response has made them somewhat of a studio standard. I always use them to check mixes in my studio and they translate well with my JBL and KRK monitors. If your presets sound right through the M50s, they should sound good through a (reasonably) flat FRFR cab or PA, as well.