Cloud previews before downloading

Ability to preview captures and presents ahead of downloading. Would be neat if over the mobile app, desktop, or through QC. I would like to reserve my download space and organization to just those I know I will like to keep verses having to download furst and later delete hundreds of tests.

Yep. This is possible with many of the software amp modelers that integrate with the hardware: Yamaha THR, Bias Amp, etc. Seems cumbersome to have to download it before you know you want it on your system. +1

3 Likes

Where users are combining other IR’s etc, it would be good if it referenced them or included links to the other items so you don’t have to pick through after downloading to find that you need two or three other items. I think I have seen this posted elsewhere. Also the ability to rate AND add comments to uploaded submissions would be great.

6 Likes

Agreed. It could become quite lawless out there if there’s no form of community quality control.

4 Likes

agree. this is the one feature that I miss from the PG BIAS ecosystem.

using a capture block on the grid, a way to hit “preview/audition” on a capture in the cloud and have it just pop up in the capture block, then you decide to save it to a user slot if it’s worth keeping…

…as an alternative tonal browsing technique to downloading fifty at a time and going through them all to find good ones.

1 Like

You mean, like a block in your preset that would be just a preview of what you were browsing in the app? I think that’s a great idea; sometimes you don’t need the whole preset preview, but you’d like to have a way to just preview the cloud capture in your already-made preset.

+1

Something allowing to listen to the preset or capture on your phone or desktop before you star it. For amp captures, and add an ir option while previewing

3 Likes

I think it would be nice to preview captures and/or presets within the mobile app and desktop editing software. Users could upload a short clip for others to hear before they download the capture/preset.

1 Like

The current process of browsing presets on cortex cloud is super cumbersome and makes discovering new sounds pretty hard. Searching something on one device (mobile), then selecting it, then finding that selected item on the QC, downloading it, maybe fix missing captures and then being able to hear it is way too much iteration time.
Ideally it should work like on the Bias FX from Positive Grid or similar where you can select a preset on your mobile device for previewing and then it automatically loads that on the device.
This will probably require some extra connection through Bluetooth or a possibility to control the device over the air (wifi), but without that the Cortex Cloud feels pretty useless.

1 Like

@AlanW thank you for being diligent on identifying the duplicate feature request posts. All duplicates have been merged back to this one :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not familiar with other modelers, so maybe I’m adding nothing new to the table, but another interesting possibility is to have generic short DI clips like “HB Open Chords”, “Straty Blues Lick”, “Downtune Chug” etc, so that as you browse, each preset/capture you click is auto-fed with the chosen prerecorded DI, and you immediately hear how it sounds.

So let’s say you are looking for a bluesy thing, you choose “Straty Blues Lick”, then browse through presets, and your experience is something like “naah, too thin… mmm too hot… a bit muddy… uh, wait, that might work”, then you can either preview it as suggested here or download it.
Think of it like the experience of running a loop and scrolling through blocks or changing effect parameters in a DAW until you hone in on something you like.

Maybe you can use pre-recorded “factory” DI’s in different styles or record your own and use it for browsing.

Unless I’m reinventing the wheel, I think it can be a very efficient way of navigating the cloud.

1 Like

correct me if im wrong, but isn’t this one solved now in 2.0?

1 Like

I’d love having something like this…better yet, let me upload a DI wav file to listen to the capture to (limited to 20s or something).

Yes and no. You can preview prior to saving but you still are technically downloading prior to previewing.

Not sure there’s any way around that honestly, not if you want to try with YOUR guitar/gear. You could do generic DI samples or something but that’s no promise of how things sound in your environment

Since we are browsing presets beeing logged into our NDSP account, it could be great if we could upload, say, 5 short ‘raw’ DI clips that could be used to ‘preview’ presets.

But, thechnically, I don’t think that it is possible, because the preset data themselves are not sufficient to generate the final sound. (they are merely ‘instructions’ for the Quad Cortex to load specific components into a chain)

The final sound come from the Quad Cortex algorithmes, and - unless NDSP has a ‘Quad Cortex Simulator’ software component - I don’t think that the Web Server could recreate those ‘final sound’ purely using software…

So, the current implementation is the best we could have right now…

What would be enhanced, is the way we are browsing presets:

• A ‘starring/appreciation system’ would be nice anyway , it would allow the users to ‘rank’ the presets (because the number of downloads is not related to the quality of the preset … most of the time, I download a preset, listen to it, don’t like it and delete it immediately….)

• On the QC, It would be nice to have the ability to have a ‘virtual filesystem’’ that allow us to create folders/subfolders as a way to manage our data (Presets, IR, Captures, and so on…). The 2.0 search is a step in the right direction, but it is not implemented everywere, and - for the IR for exemple - it is not so useful because the filenames are somewhat cryptic … If we could place our IR into virtual folders it would be great the us, the user, without impacting the QC itself… (I know it is not so simple, because two identically named files could be stored into 2 separate folders, which makes sense for a human, but for the QC if would be confusing. And if the QC would reference files by their ‘virtual folder location’, when a user move a file or rename a folder it would break any preset referencing the items ….) - sorry for the disgression !

I would be ok and probably prefer the audition after download.

I could download x-amount and be able to audition offline.

The wifi on my unit is horrible.

Sometimes not connecting or even finding my wifi 5’ from the router. I have 2 internet services in my house too, both with 2.4ghz access points.

But any audition option would be much appreciated