Capture Acoustic Tone from DAW?

I can get a good acoustic tone by recording into Garageband and applying EQ there. Is it possible to capture that tone with the QC? If so what would the connections be?

If it’s just the EQ you like in GarageBand, then just reproduce the same setting with an EQ block in QC. I have had some success with acoustic body IRs to translate piezo pickups to mic’d acoustic guitar tones and using the IR in QC. That’s another approach to EQ.

1 Like

I EQ the mic recording. The pickup recording doesnt sound so good. However, i have tonematched them using MfreeformEQ plug in which then creates an IR. Its a bit convoluted so was hoping there was a more straightforward way of doing it straight to a capture.

you could capture that series of plugins in your DAW, that’s what I do for transforming IRs into captures; I’ve done it with several acoustic instrument IRs- they’re on the cloud if you want to check the results.

Just set up your EQ and IR plugin in the DAW and capture that (similar setup to capturing a pedal)
You might try capturing each element individually first, to gauge their usefulness. Then try capturing the entire chain.

2 Likes

Thanks, thats what i was thinking off. How would i physically do that? With capturing a pedal its straight forward with in and out sockets.

well, I overlooked the most important detail, probably- you have to have an external interface to do it.
If you have that, you connect the interface as you would a pedal, I/O-wise; then it’s just a matter of balancing all the gain stages in the DAW.

If you’re using the QC as your only interface to your DAW, then it can’t be done that way yet.

(if this is just a one-time tone you’re trying to create a capture of, I’m happy to convert the files for you if you want to try it that way)

1 Like

Hi, thanks for that. I do have another external interface (Focusrite Scarlett). So the capture out goes to the input of the scarlet, the scarlet output to the input 2 on QC, and USB connection between scarlet and DAW?

yeah, that should do it

1 Like

Thanks for the help

1 Like