Can't get the new Global Bypass to do what I need

The new Global Bypass for cab, IR and cab captures is much appreciated. But I’m not sure how it’s intended to be used. What I need is the ability to have two QC outputs, one that goes to FOH and IEMs with a cab block, and one that goes to my stage amp that uses guitar speakers, and and no cab block.

What I thought Global Bypass would do is allow us to choose which QC outputs cabs would be bypassed for. In my case that would be Out 3/4 which goes to my Powercab 212 run in Raw mode (basically a powered guitar speaker cabinet, no tweeter, no processing). Then I could use one path with a cab block sent to the muli-output with out 1/2 to FOH and IEMs including the cab block, and out 3/4 to the stage amp wouldn’t.

Instead Global Bypass only controls what rows the cab block will be bypassed in. This doesn’t help my scenario because I still have to use two row, one for out 3/4 with no cab block and another row for out 1/2 that does have a cab block. I really didn’t want to use a whole row for just this simple routing option.

It appears what the Global Bypass is intended to do is to allow us to create patches that can be used into a FRFR or into a powered guitar speaker by just changing the Global Bypass setting. The cab block will be on or off depending on the amplifier type. That’s fine, but it doesn’t address the need to have two outputs at the same time, one with cab, and one without cab and only requiring one row.

Maybe I’m missing something. Anyone have any ideas on how to best use Global Bypass?

6 Likes

I imagined the purpose was to easily switch between cab sim / no cab sim on all outputs (or selected rows).
E.g. using a preset with a real cab connected to out1/2 (cabs globally bypassed) and then use the same preset for a FOH gig on out1/2 with a cab sim.
I always use different outputs for FOH and for going to my guitar cab on stage, so I guess I will not use the feature.

Or, and this might well be the case, I missed something…

I agree with you, it would seem to have been much more useful to have this work by output rather than row. I think the most common scenario would be exactly what you described - one output going to front of house with cab/IR, and another output going to an amp/cab on stage that has the QC’s cab/IR bypassed.

If they could add the option of outputs to the global bypass functionality to the current row by row options, this would be a much better and more utilized feature. As you mentioned, the current implementation requires using what should be an unnecessary split/merge for what would probably be the most common scenario the global bypass would be used for.

IMHO this is a quirky implementation for global bypass but if improved to include output options, would be extremely powerful and useful. Implemented with output options you could even theoretically have the ‘Multi-Out’ output block setting selected, and still get the global cab-bypassed signal to the correct destination. This would completely negate the need for multiple output blocks and split/merges when using the global bypass.

2 Likes

Agree it would be better by output and not by row. Now I still need make specific routing to for rows intended for global bypass. I move between two settings one with FRFR and one with a bass cab. For see it would have been more convenient to have it set by outputs.

1 Like

Not sure if the above will work, but that was my response to the other thread.

I don’t believe you need the global bypass friend. In your case I believe you should setup one block of output to go to the front of house. I usually use xlr 1 and 2 in stereo. Then the output 3 and sometimes 4 are used to send other signals. For example I use the line splitter and send a signal to output three to either a cab pre cab out of QC or a mirror image w/ the cab block to the return of an amp with an effects loop. Output 4 and even usb outs can be used to expand into mic, clicks etc. the global bypass should be used to quickly toggle between using the cab or not for those who have to vary equipment all the time

1 Like

I run stereo and already use a send to drive a vocal processor. So the only option is to use two rows, one that sends cab block to out 1/2 to FOA/IEM and another that sends out 3/4 to Powercab 212 in Raw mode.

I can save the row for 3/4 by using multi-out and running Powercab in FRFR mode, the cab block is on all the time in this case. But Powercab sounds a lot better raw without a cab block in QC.

For me the issue with requiring two rows to have different outputs means I can’t use the two rows for something else - including having the Leslie on a parallel path so I can adjust the wet/dry mix. This is because the Leslie block doesn’t have a mix control, something I think most blocks should have. The new IR loader is also missing a Mix parameter which limits their use for acoustic body images without having to include a neutral IR.

Wish I was a Beta tester so I could make these suggestions.

1 Like

Yeah I wish the multi output could be customized to remove an output so that vocals could be isolated more easily from the stage and front of house sends. The multi out could be used for stereo front of house guitar and a stage amp for example and and still have other rows for other instrument/vocal

1 Like

Hello. I also have the same problem that Jamsden raised here last January in his first post.
As of today there is still no solution?
Does anyone know if Neural DSP is working on implementing a fix in future Quad Cortex OS updates?
Thank you.

Technically, there is nothing broken to ‘fix’, but feel free to search and add a feature request for new features (and or improvements as NDSP does listen) :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is great that Neural added a global bypass, but they may not have implemented this feature the way many users were anticipating or hoping for (bypass on the outputs instead of, or in addition to on rows). It is kind of a shame to have to have to initiate a new feature request instead of just reviving the old one, which already had many votes. Maybe adding more detail to the old request.

1 Like

Good points! I agree with the assessments made and will see what can be done to open that initial request thread again if I can find it. It probably wasn’t titled Global Bypass but please send me the link if you have it. Thanks!

1 Like

Looks like there are still a couple of requests out there with a fair number of votes. Including this one, which I believe is still active. So hopefully Neural still has enhancements to the global bypass feature and inclusion of back panel output bypass on its radar.

2 Likes

Many thanks to everyone!
(I apologize in advance for my level of English. I am writing to you using Google Translate…).
I think when fellow @jamsden created this topic he exposed an issue that affects many other Quad Cortex users:
we need XLR outputs 1 & 2 to send the sound WITH speaker emulation (CAB or IR) and TRS outputs 3 & 4 to send the same sound WITHOUT the CAB or IR block.
It makes no sense to have to use an entire row just to be able to send the CAB block or IR to the outputs we want (“wasting” a whole row for this function forces us to “lose” 8 blocks!)
I think many users want to use the MULTI OUT option combined with a “Monitor Cab Off” function for the TRS 3 & 4 outputs as for live performances it is very versatile to use the Scene mode (with 8 different scenes within a Preset) having all 4 rows at full capacity, with a total of 32 blocks.

1 Like

I think many users need the configuration explained in @chad_ramosDisable cab IRs on a selected output” (Feature Requests) topic that @HonestOpinion just forwarded.
We want to connect XLR outputs 1 & 2 to the FOH mixer for PA sound with the CAB or IR block on, and TRS outputs 3 & 4 we need with the CAB or IR block off as we use them for our personal monitoring on stage using an guitar combo amp or a power amp with speakers.
And as I said in the previous post, it’s a pity to “waste” an entire row to achieve this functionality.
As user @chad_ramos said in his topic we need a “Monitor Cab Off” feature like Kemper has.

2 Likes

As I’m new to this Forum I don’t really know the best way to channel this topic (and I’m very interested in Quad Cortex implementing this feature in the near future…).

@MP_Mod, as a moderator, what do you advise?
The best option is that I give my votes to the topic “Disable cab IRs on a selected output” (Feature Requests) that is already created by @chad_ramos since March '21? (This Feature Request already has 92 votes.)
Or should I create a new topic myself (in the “Feature Requests” category) with this question?
Thanks in advance.

Honestly, that is up to you. You have a certain number of votes and can use them anywhere and even remove and add them elsewhere plus you can submit a new request if its something unique and others can vote on that for priority. It’s really up to you.

Thanks for your help, @MP_Mod.
Given what we’ve discussed, I’ll give my votes to the Feature Request “Disable cab IRs on a selected output” that created the user @chad_ramos (he currently has 92 votes).
I hope we get lucky and get this new functionality for the Quad Cortex!

(I have already voted and now there are 93 votes. In case it is of interest to you and you want to help us with your votes I also send you here the post with the one I summarized there in the Feature Request “Disable cab IRs on a selected output” our improvement proposal for the Quad Cortex.)

I have been commenting on this same question in another topic of this Forum.
I think what most users who use the Quad Cortex on stage want is:

1. Play live with the Scene, Stomp or Hybrid modes so that there are no gaps when we switch between the sounds of the 8 Scenes (or between the Stomps).
  2. Send sound WITH speaker simulation (CAB or IR) from XLR outputs 1 & 2 to PA (FOH mixer).
  3. Send sound WITHOUT speaker simulation (CAB or IR) from TRS 3 & 4 outputs to our personal stage monitoring (combo guitar amps, power amp with speakers, etc.).
  4. Use the 4 Rows of the Quad Cortex at full capacity, with the 32 Blocks available for amps and effects (don’t waste any Blocks with a “loop” utility).
  5. Link the 4 Rows together:
    -Enter our instrument in Row 1 with IN1.
    -Go through 32 Blocks of amps and effects from The Grid.
    -Exit Row 4 with MULTI OUT.

So, as said in this same thread, for the sound we send to our personal monitor with outputs 3 & 4, we need the option that Kemper has:

MONITOR CAB OFF

This would be the only way we would manage to maintain 100% of the potential of The Grid (32 Blocks) and at the same time, that the public hear us WITH speaker simulation and we can hear ourselves WITHOUT speaker simulation.

5 Likes