Asterix on name preset using expression pedal

I don’t know if it has already been written before: yesterday I noticed that every time I use the expression pedal (wah) an asterisk appears on the name of the preset to indicate that the preset has been modified, but this is not the case, it has been only moved the expression pedal up or down.

Mine does not do that. Have you tried recalibrating the expression pedal in the I/O Settings page (swipe down)? Save after you recalibrate.

Which wah model and which expression input, btw? Just in case that has something to do with it.

Mine does that. It just indicates that the XP isn’t in the same position as the preset was saved in. Doesn’t really affect anything

I think the difference in my testing results may have to do with how you activate your wah block. In my case I don’t have an expression pedal toe switch, so I use auto-engage for activate/bypass.

Upon further testing, I notice that if I activate/deactivate the wah block by touching the screen or using one of the QC’s switches, I do get the edit asterisk indicating the preset has been edited. If I use auto-engage to activate/bypass the wah - no asterisk. So… when using auto-engage, the QC appears to determine that you have not changed your preset.

Are you using an expression pedal toe-switch or one of the QC’s stomp switches to activate the wah?

Either way, I can’t seem to get the asterisk to appear solely by changing the expression pedal position.

UPDATE:
Just discovered another factor that can impact this behavior. There is an interaction between the global Settings → ‘Scene Bypass State Behavior’ mode and whether or not the QC considers changing the expression pedal position an edit (when you are using auto-engage).

The third mode under ‘Scene Bypass State Behavior’, doesn’t show an EXP move as an edit. The other top two modes do. I happened to be using the third mode when I tested which probably accounted for our different results.

1 Like

Yes, after the calibration and save the preset the issue still cocured. I have a simple expression pedal without switch inside, so it autoengage the wah when I press the pedal. I think it is a bug because the device perceives the simple change of pedal position as a modification of the preset.

This could be as designed. In essence you have potentially changed the bypass/active state and value of a parameter, e.g. the volume setting or position of the wah. If you were to save the preset at that point, perhaps as also determined by the ‘Scene Bypass State Behavior’, it could theoretically come up with that parameter value as well as the bypass/active state, the next time you went to that preset. This would qualify as an edit and hence the asterisk.

This is common to almost all the modelers I have ever used, including Fractal units & Helix. As soon as anything changes, even the motion of an expression pedal, the preset is changed and marked as such. You can safely just ignore this behaviour if you know you haven’t intentionally changed something. It would be nice for modelers to ignore changed parameters that are mapped to expression pedals, but no one in the industry does that that I am aware of.