Andy Timmons Preset

Does anyone have a preset sounding like Andy Timmons? I have Plini, Abasi and Nolly. Any preset ala Timmons will be appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

I have a couple of presets for Timmons tones on Archetype Rabeaā€¦ I could try to recreate them on Nolly and/or Plini and send here later. :metal:

Any Andy Timmons preset for Plini or Nolly would be appreciated!

1 Like

Based on this video, I tried my best to recreate his tones. First I went for the sound of his clean amp (which wasnā€™t easy to mimic, so I did what I could with the amp knobs and the post EQ), then added the comp (being used as a booster). Afterwards I tried to make the blues driver sound using the comp + drive pedal on the plugin. Then finally I tried to copy the ā€œdissipating analog trailā€ delay sound and just added the long-ish reverb.
Since thereā€™s no ā€œdual delayā€ feature on the Plini X, I just tried to get a similar time with the dotted 8 (on ping pong mode).

The Timmons inspired - Comp Clean.xml (3.7 KB) is that first sound of just the comp + amp + dly/rvb

The Timmons inspired - OD.xml (3.7 KB) is very similar but with the added overdrive, trying to match the blues driver.

The Timmons inspired - Octavia.xml (3.7 KB) is a combination of the high octave with the fuzz sound, to mimic the octavia tone.

And the Timmons inspired - POG Fuzz.xml (3.7 KB) Is the low octave + fuzz to get the octave riff sound he showed a couple minutes after the octavia.

He plays very dynamically, so to get a similar clean sound you gotta play softer, and the bite comes with increased intensity. I also noticed that switching between different pickups on my guitar altered the tone very drastically, and not all positions were appropriate to get similar tones, so Iā€™d recommend single coil (or coil split) and in some instances either a bright neck hb or a lower output bridge hb.

For reference, Iā€™m using a Custom 24 with 5-way blade switch, and the only ā€˜usefulā€™ positions for these sounds on my guitar were 4 (coil-split neck + coil-split bridge), 5 (neck humbucker) for leads and fuzzy stuff, 1 (bridge humbucker) with volume slightly rolled back for OD leads. I guess a neck single coil would sound even better if you have that option.

(extra stuff - archetype rabea):
Iā€™ve found a video where Rabea tried to make a Timmons sound with his own plugin, and I really like this tone, so Iā€™m also uploading it here just in case anyone with Archetype Rabea want to give it a try.

andy timmons acc to rabea.xml (7.1 KB)

I made some tweaks with EQ and delay to my taste (to use at live gigs, that often happen to take my signal in mono):
crunch timmons.xml (7.1 KB)

2 Likes

Disclaimer: I know none of these presets are perfect, but Iā€™m confident they will serve as a good starting point to achieve the desired tones. Anyway , I had a lot of fun dialing in the tones for these presets, so at least I hope you have fun experimenting and playing with them as well. Enjoy! :metal:

I realize now that the dual delay could be recreated using a combination of the ā€œpreā€ delay pedal on the pedalboard section and the delay on the ambience section.

I guess just by setting the 2 against 3 pattern using both pedals would result in something close enough to mimic his timeline configuration.