Why Quad Cortex lower in volume than Kemper?

Same experience here. As a former Kemper/Helix/AxeFX user myself, this threw me off…hmmmm.

I am able to push my Powercab112+ and 212 into yellow on the input clip indicator with QC. I did have to turn up the output on the I/O page, and do leave the QC volume knob all the way up. Connecting to Powercab with XLR and running it in FRFR mode. It sounds pretty good.

Is this situation cabinet dependent? Is this with presets or From scratch Blocks?
I received my QC last week and I notice Volume changes from preset to preset but truth be told volume has not gone past 1 O’clock. ( I have never had the pleasure of using a Kemper or Fractal)
I am using an Accugroove Powered El Whappo. I have been using it for Bass and Guitar. No Issues
I will be hooking into My Fuchs ODS 50 and 2 Tone Tubby setup this weekend and see if that changes.

Overall output depends on 1) he guitar you are using, 2) the input gain setting on the QC I/O page, 3) the gain staging in all the blocks in the patch, 4) the output gain setting, 5) the QC volume knob and 6) the volume of the FRFR or other amp you are using. The greatest source of variability would be in the patches. I like to keep blocks in the patch close to unity gain (approximately the same level bypassed or not) to make the overall patch level more predictable and the level similar between patches. But as long as there’s no input or output digital clipping, and the gain is up enough to get a good signal to noise ratio, there should be no problem.

2 Likes

I’ve just checked the USB level indicators using a test oscillator. The meters are green up to -10dBFS (digital zero), then a small yellow sector between -10 and -8 dBFS. Between -8 and 0dBFS the meters are red, and bottoms out at 0dBs. The QC does not clip or compress anything below 0dBS.

So also in USB there is room to boost the output signal (using the output block gain or any other module with gain). I’ve noticed most factory presets delivers a peak of about -6dBFS and in the DAW (Logic) I have added a +6dB gain module on the QC input channel to match the level when playing to other sources.

As for studio use, NDSPs decision to calibrate the gren/red/yellow at a “pro” level of their meters, about -8 dBFS, is a good choice IMHO. It’s the same with their plugins actually, which require about the same boost to “fill up” all headroom to get close to 0dBFS.

1 Like

Gonna take a big bite of humble pie and wear this ol’ dunce cap for a while. I deleted my post because my entire ‘lack of volume’ problem while using the QC as an audio interface was due to my subwoofer, which my monitor signal passes through for a crossover circuit, was switched off. I’ve been doing a lot of cleaning and re-configuring of my studio space and desk. I don’t know how, but yeah, that switch got bumped and powered off the sub and therefore the crossover circuit. That was what reduced the volume coming out of my monitors so drastically. I’m not too proud to be laughed at a bit. Especially when I deserve it.

“HAAAA Ha!” -Nelson (The Simpsons)

2 Likes

Hi! just googled “QC volume lower than Kemper” and found this thread. I’m having the same issue, sold my kemper than bought another one because with QC i’m not able to get the same volume that i get using the Kemper. For both of them i’m using the same RedSound active cab and at the same volume QC sounds the half of the Kemper. Don’t know how to solve it but it’s almost frustrating not being able to use the QC for gigs or rehearsal. Has anyone solved this issue? Many thanks.

Just turn up the output volume on the I/O Setting Page in the QC and you should be good to go. Additionally you can always also turn up the presets output by tapping and holding the output block. The QC by default puts out ‘unity’ gain, so something around Instrument / mic level, not line level IIRC. That’s why you have to push the output volume a little bit. If your powered speaker has the option to do it, turn down the input sensitivity too.
If all of that does not work try to use output 3/4 with a balanced (important!) cable, if used balanced it puts out +15,5dbu whereas outputs 1/2 only do +9,5dbu. The prerequisite is of course that your speaker also has a balanced input.

Thanks for your reply :pray:t2: i’ll definitely run a test following your instructions and let you know.

I certainly agree that my QC has lower output than my Axe-Fx111 or Helix. I am careful to ensure that my presets are just below clipping on all 3 units, but the output from my QC has always been substantially lower. My solution has always been to increase the input gain on my Line 6 PowerCab by 6-9db on the input I use for the QC. The Axe-Fx and Helix both go into the other input with the input gain at 0db.

I don’t know about Kemper but I had an Helix and my perception is opposite… the QC sounds way louder than the Helix to me.

Try using output 3/4 with a balanced cable into a balanced input if possible. See my comment above for more details.

My QC has a way higher output than the helix I used before too. Had to reduce the input gain on my bands X32 rack mixer significantly to not clip the input (using output 3 with a balanced signal). But that could to some extent also be my change in tone, because I used the opportunity to build my presets / tones from the ground up instead of just trying to rebuild the presets I had on the helix.

1 Like