What Headphones to dial in tone?

Hi there , I know there are few posts about headphones. I’m finding it hard to use what I currently own.
I’ve seen reviews on Audio Tech M50x and Beyer DT770 pro. Also heard Sennheiser HD650 are good . Slightly confused with the HD650 they are 300hms. Will the QC be okay with these . I’ve heard the HD650’s are more transparent ? Whatever that means . Value QC users thoughts on this . Thanks

1 Like

I have the Sennheiser HD600 (300 ohms) and Audio-Technica ATH-M70x (35 Ohms).

The Sennheisers sound amazing with every preset and minimal effort (just a quick initial check of I/O settings to prevent clipping).

The Audio-Technicas on the other hand require a tremendous amount of fidgeting with settings to prevent crackling and buzzing.

I’m guessing this has everything to do with the impedance differences, not because the ATH-M70x isn’t a great pair of headphones (they are) or the fact that they’re closed-back instead of open (like the HD 600).

I have the M50x which are perfect for my personal preference. I don’t have issue with any buzzing or so.
I ran them through a Focusrite Scarlet 18i20 first, but i bumped that interface because the QC does all i need as a interface I/O wise. It works fine

I like bayer because they are very comfortable over the course of a few hours, sometimes that makes the difference imo

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. The M50x certainly seem a good price . But have heard the bass can be an issue ? I guess I could HP filter 100hz or something ? I too own a Focusrite DAW. Hadn’t considered the QC as my DAW?

M50x user here as well and they work great for me!

Very interested in this subject as well. I use my Focusrite phones (that came with the interface as a bundle) and they don’t translate QC tones very well (totally different when connected to PA).

As I reckon this is possible true no matter the phones, I’m sure some might be a more close live FOH tone.

Sennheiser? Audio-Technica? Beyer? Also curious on your experience in dialing tones at home and how well they translate live.

I know this doesn’t answer the topic, but I think it is a very necessary and mostly overlooked aspect when talking about headphones. That is: headphones are like shoes. If they don’t fit you, they aren’t good. Not only because you can’t wear them for long without hurting or slipping, but the fit can also tribute a lot to the sound, depending on the system (closed ones more than open ones).

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation . If only there were as many headphones stores as shoe stores :sunglasses:.
What I’m trying to achieve is a way of monitoring as close as I can to what my live sound actually becomes .
I understand that it’s not one size fits all. But sonically , it seems that certain makes and models and the variations can make quite a difference . I don’t want to spend money on fails , and if others have tried and are pleased with models . I’d find that helpful. Most reviews are aimed at studio monitoring , or general listening . Guitar is a very specific thing . Poor bass for example could hype a sound that then lacks in a live scenario. Just trying to weed out the potential fails .

1 Like

What issue in particular? I don’t have any problems with the bass response. So this might be very subjective.
Or at least depends on what you’re planning to “hear”.

1 Like

I have a pair of AT M50s and a pair of M50Xs. As with any headphones, I wouldn’t call them “flat” but I’d describe them as neutral. They also translate well to what I hear from both pairs of monitors in my studio. If you’re hearing too much low bass from your QC through the M50s, chances are your presets need some low-end trimming and your gtr cabinet, FRFR, etc. just isn’t reproducing it. Not a problem unless you plug into a PA that can reproduce that bottom. I haven’t gone headphone shopping in years so I’m not up on other options.

1 Like

Thanks for your contribution. The more I think about it, I’m not so much bothered with the bass side of them. As long as they are not silly . I’ve a loss of 4k from cymbals etc. So was looking for something reasonably neutral to boost 4k 20% and work from that basis. I can HP filter 100hz and perhaps that’s the solution ?

I agree. I always run a high pass (and a low pass) on my presets, usually between 70hz and 110hz. Just like in recording, your guitar will sit better in a live mix and won’t muddy up low instruments like bass and kick drum. Even just playing along with tracks at home.

Bayer Dynamic DT 1990 PRO, expensive but best one for tweaking guitar sound. For me…

2 Likes

The Beyerdynamic DT 700 Pro X is 48 ohm and has a driver that makes it sound great with any headphone amp. You may want to look into it.

I have the 1770 pro and I find them to be great for detail.

Thanks guys , I settled on the Sennheiser HD650’s. Working well for me .