Using frfr or studio monitor?

hey so im looking to upgrade an amp speaker i was using at home for playing and recording.
Looking into FRFR seemed like a good option but i don´t really gig so i´m looking into studio monitors but i´m unsure if they are able to take the QC when playing at room level or if they are at risk of being damaged or the sound distorted when playing (not playing back recordings)
Is there any experience or recommendation on this? if i can´t play with the monitors i´d rather get a FRFR and use it as both, any thoughts?

I did look in the forum for similar topics but they didn´t have the answers I was expecting

Generally, studio monitors are just another set of active speakers (as long as you pick active ones :wink:).

But note: not all studio monitors are “flat response” - some are fairly flat, others have pretty distinct peaks and troughs in their frequency response. And studio monitors are generally not optimized sound-wise for guitar sounds. Beyond that, there’s no reason you shouldn’t use studio monitors.

As with all active speakers, you’ll need to take care of your signal levels:

• be careful with your QC output levels, so you don’t overload or damage the input side of your studio monitors. Generally, the QC will output a “normal” line level, so things should be fine - maybe just start at a low level and work your way up.
  • as with any active speaker, be reasonable with the overall output level so you don’t cause damage. Typical decent active speakers won’t actually let you drive them so high that you can create physical damage by overloading their output stage or the actual speaker cone / tweeter.

Overall: at a normal “room level” (not room level for a hearing-impaired person), a decent studio monitor shouldn’t have any problems with the QC - only question will be if you like the sound you’re getting from that specific monitor’s frequency response curve. Best try a couple with an actual guitar recording from the QC if you have the chance to do so…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

One caveat with active studio monitors is that they usually have individual volume and power controls on the back. Order of operations will save a loud possibly damaging pop on start up and powering down. Power up QC first then monitors, power down the monitors first then the QC. I use Dynaudio BM5As with a Nero Monitor controller and it’s an awesome at-home / studio solution The Nero has multiple inputs and outputs for other devices. i.e. QC, computer DAW, turntable, CD player. etc. Decent quality monitors will be able to handle the QC no problem and your presets will translate well to other systems.
That said, I think I’ll pick up one of the Fender FR offerings soon.

One other thing to consider is how you’ll be using the monitors. Don’t expect to get good results using a pair of cheap 4" monitors while standing 8’ (2.6 meters) away. They’re designed to be used on a desktop, from 3 feet away (near field). You’ll likely be disappointed with the volume and bass response at a larger distances. You’ll likely need to spend $600 or more for suitable studio monitors. My 10" 3-way KRK monitors work great for home but they’re over $1000. If you have $300 to spend ($600 for a pair), I’d recommend Headrush FRFR108s. I’ve been using a pair of them at home and with my band for a couple of years. They’re resonably flat, will get quite loud, and are very compact and lightweight. I like them more than the two different $1000+ FRFRs I’d tried previously and I love running in stereo. Great bang-for-the-buck. You can also find them used for around $200 each. Happy hunting!

1 Like

One other thing I should mention, my FRFR108s are the original version. Headrush just released a new version with a few added features. I haven’t tried the new ones, but assume the are as good or better.

thank you guys, i found the presonus eris 5 for quite cheap (about 90 dollars each) i´ll try them and see what´s up, i´m mainly using them for my home studio so they don´t need to be extremely loud but i hope they get reasonable sounds since i´ll use them for my pc as well just for overall entertainment.
if they suck i´ll invest in the headrush i think. i was just worried they wouldn´t work well for me while playing but it seems they will work.
thank you all, if anyone else reading this has any suggestions or comments i´m happy to listen

Hi, I’m also thinking about buying some studio monitors, how was your experience with the Eris 5?

Your feedback would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance

+++ the 108’s

Been using one for several years now first with my Eleven Rack and now QC.