Think I fried my QC

Hi, this msg was also sent to support. I’m posting it here too if somebody as an idea, or something…

so I’ve owned a QC for over a year now. I recently started working with it in a new way. I would use the FX loop 1 to an actual tube amp (Two Rock 50/15 for clean tones) then into a Torpedo Captor X for the load only and back into the QC.

It worked beautiful so, I had a pedalboard built around this idea with a few other things in FX loop 2.

Tonight, I was trying stuff and comparing tones when I noticed that the signal I was getting from my amp was way too overdiven for what is supposed to be coming out of a clean amp. And it wasn’t like that last time I worked with it. So, as I looked into it, some humming noise became more and more important. I noticed it would fluctuate if I touched the quarter inch jacks from the FX loop. I unplugged the send, noise stopped, plugged it back in, noise is back. Unplugged the return and schloopsss, the QC shut down. It was dark in the room but, I’m pretty sure I saw a little smoke coming out of it. It won’t turn on anymore…

So, I guess I messed up pretty bad. What happened? What do I do now? I had quite a few plans for this rig…

Just to be clear, which output were you using out of the Torpedo Captor X?

1 Like

My guess is that the output level from the Torpedo somehow increased and overloaded the loop return. The odd part is that the QC shut down and won’t turn back on. Hopefully, if it’s damaged, the damage is limited to the loop return circuit. If so, maybe the QC has just gone into protect mode. Regardless, it’ll probably require repair by Neural. You should probably contact them for instruction. Have you tried disconnecting the amp/load box to see if the QC will fire up with nothing in the loop? If it does but you have no sound, try removing the loop block from your chain. Sorry for your troubles.

1 Like

I kinda doubt the captor would have so much output it would cause the entire unit to overload/shut down, unless they had the speaker output going into the QC. There must be something else at play here than just a basic level going up from an XLR output

I am trying to give benifit of the doubt, here. If the speaker level outputs were used, as D.C. said, “bad, bad, very bad”!

Does it smell toasty? Doesn’t sound good, might need to contact Neural for a repair. @DiffractionCircuit is correct, you don’t ever want to put a post power amp signal, like the ‘Speaker Out’ from the Torpedo, with all its many potential watts when it has an amplifier hooked up to the ‘Speaker In’ connection, into any of the inputs/returns on the QC. Definitely a recipe for smoke and melted silicon.

But assuming that’s not what happened, have you had an opportunity to try it with another power supply or maybe even the existing one on another outlet? Might get lucky. Would be worth attempting this to me, before returning the entire unit for repair. Good to have a backup power supply anyway and they can be had cheap on Amazon.

Hi guys, sorry, I haven’t been here in a while as I was in contact with support and should get my QC repaired and shipped back home any day now.

So yeah, I did use the speaker out straight into one loop return. I’m an idiot, I should have known better. The reason I chose that is I had no noise with that option and a serious ground noise if I used the XLR output. I didn’t think this throught.

Let this be a cautionary tale for others. It’s been a costly mistake but, all is good now, I hope. Happy new year!

2 Likes

One of life’s “live and learn” situations, to be sure. Glad it’s repairable. Thanks for the update.

1 Like

Good to hear! Would you mind sharing more details on what was fried, what had to be repaired, what it cost and so on? Just asking out of curiosity.

1 Like

“ground” noise issue strikes again, this time with lethal costs. brutal

It’s actually more of a straight up electrical noise. I’ve had that often when trying to merge an amp and cam sim like an OX within a standard pedal board system (like, having preamp fx in front of the amp and going back into the board for str verb and delays). I ordered a Radial SB6 to try and see if I can get rid of that disturbance. Otherwise I can use a gate but, the noise is so important that you hear it when playing. So, not exactly a useful solution until I get this solved.

The bill says they had to replace the PSU. Shipping included, it cost me 335 EUR. Not fun… But service and commucation was great and quick, so there’s that.

1 Like

have you tried the “dont plug anything into xlr outputs 1/2 until the unit is fully booted” trick?

I have now. Didn’t change anything…

1 Like