Quad cortex power supply

Just wondering if a fender engine room power supply could be used with the QC?

1 Like

Hi @StewC76 and welcome to the community! If it outputs 12v @ at least 2A (check the polarity) it should be good considering the required barrel size.

Are you saying that a 2 amp power supply is enough? I thought the QC needed 3 amps…

The QC OEM PS provides 12v @ 3a, most aftermarket PSs including the Globtek output 12v @ 2A which is more than sufficient to run properly with zero issues.

Interesting. I actually emailed neural support to ask what amperage power supply was required. I told them that on this forum several people have had success using a 2 mA power supply.

Their answer was that it needs a 3 mA supply, or you will damage the unit or the touchscreen won’t work properly et cetera et cetera.

I have found a number of 3 mA (or greater) power supplies available, on eBay or Amazon, using either IEC or 2 pin (Figure of 8) kettle lead AC cables.

But If you are confident that 2mA works fine and with no issues that opens up a lot more possibilities as there are many more units out there that provide 2mA :+1:t2:

Has anyone tried the Mission Engineering power solutions for the QC? The 529 power bank or 529M? Looking for good options to consider.

After I had problems with noise at a gig, NDSP recommended a Cioks DC7 by mail. This also delivers only 2A.

1 Like

I have my QC on a pedalboard using the CIOKS DC7 and the CRUX which is a little box that plugs into the DC7 so only one cord it powers my QC with no issues whatsoever. The whole thing is around 300 dollars but I feel good about spending the money. I have more than enough power to add many more pedals if I wish.

Hi!
Yes I use The Mission engineering 529M and use a 27000 MAH Powerbank with Power Delivery and 65Watt fast charging support and also 3 ampere output support. It works perfectly fine and in addition it also cuts of all the ground hum issues as its just off the grid. The Power from the Powerbank lasts for about 6 hours or so. Which is pretty reasonable even during Live Gigs.

1 Like

Hi!
For the noise isuue during Gig you can try this.
You can use The Mission engineering 529M and use a 27000 MAH Powerbank with Power Delivery and 65Watt fast charging support and also 3 ampere output support. It works perfectly fine and in addition it also cuts of all the ground hum issues as its just off the grid. The Power from the Powerbank lasts for about 6 hours or so. Which is pretty reasonable even during Live Gigs.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the tip, but I’ve reached the point where I don’t want to invest any more money in the QC story.

I don’t want to be a killjoy here, but CIOKS also has its weaknesses!
As soon as you are in an environment where powerline is used, you have a big problem with CIOKS. They pick up noise from the powerline, which you can’t get rid of (the original power supply does NOT pick up this noise).
I still have the Cioks here at home and am very conflicted about which risk I take: possible grounding problems with the original power supply, or powerline (and possible other potential sources of interference) with the Cioks.

I have a Cioks Crux and think it killed my first QC by not delivering enough power. The QC started acting very strange after adding the crux to my setup. The QC went crazy when I tried making some captures while powering it with the Crux. Then after a few long rehearsal days the unit essentially became a brick.

I turned down the screen brightness on my replacement unit to a little under half. My original unit was around 50-75% brightness by default. It seems to be working better now, but have to keep an HX stomp with me as a backup since I don’t fully trust the QC.

Ensure the CIOKS is configured correctly and provides 12v @ 2A minimum

It was. New unit has been okay so far with the screen brightness down from the default setting. Kinda feeling that it was needing more power than the crux could provide with the screen brightness up + doing captures. Once I did that the unit went absolutely crazy and started changing names of presets + couldn’t recall any settings. It was adding an underscore after each preset name, wouldn’t pull up any devices when selecting a preset, and when I tried to restore from a backup it would crash.

A few days after that started it just wouldn’t boot past the blinking footswitch lights. No matter if I used the Crux or original power supply.

Band I just toured with had a QC and theirs refused to boot up past the lights one night for quite a while. Eventually it did, but delayed the start of their set. They were only using the original power supply.