Screen Interface - recipients! is it as good as claimed?

I ‘ve ordered QC principally on the strength of the screen interface but now that people are actually experiencing the QC I’m reading some feedback that suggests it may not be as great as expected.

So to all you first tier recipients, please give us your feedback on the clarity and touch responsiveness of the screen … is it really what is claimed (admittedly by paid influencers).

Hi there. I posted a video on my YouTube channel going over the UI. It might answer some questions for you. https://youtu.be/kfClmSvcewo

Late to the discussion here, but just wanted to call out the QC as not being as responsive as you would expect for a product of this price being released in 2020/2021. The UI hangs a bit on a lot of basic operations, overall its not a bad experience… but if you’re trying to download a lot of presets to the unit it becomes cumbersome.

I think there are some questionable UI choices. One of my frustrations is that you can only access IO by swiping down from the top… It is not present in the “settings” menu at all, where I would have expected it to be. There are other gripes with navigation that I have. I dislike that there is no dedicated library/directory button. You have to tap on the name of the current preset in order to get to the “directory”. I’m not a fan of the tempo being hidden so far under the “file” context menu. It would be fantastic to see my tempo right away no matter where I am at in my preset. There is a ton of wasted space in the UI that could have been condensed to make room for some common functionality. Why make it difficult to access common pieces of functionality.

Back to the latency/snappiness issue, if you’re scrolling a list it’s noticeably slow. If you’re accustomed to scrolling on a phone built in the last 10 years it is considerably less responsive. Most things you tap on there will likely be a slight delay waiting for the next screen to pop up. It’s not what I would call slow, but it certainly isn’t as snappy as I would like on a device of this caliber.

The screen resolution is definitely not very high. You will see aliased text and individual pixels, being that you have to use the device itself for all operations makes it a bit dissapointing.

All of this is reasonably livable however. I am being very critical because of the hype surrounding this device, and it’s price tag. If you are expecting a device as responsive as your smartphone, you will simply be let down.

My biggest issue with this thing is the poor wifi connectivity. It’s the only wifi device I own that struggles to maintain a reliable connection to my router. I had to pick it up out of my studio space and bring it right next to the router in order to update and download presets. Even with it being 10 feet from the router it dropped connection multiple times when trying to download roughly 30 presets.

It sounds fantastic, capturing is pretty intuitive and also sounds incredible… but I am certainly having regrets in not going with a more established brand. Investing 5 months of waiting for my pre-order and seeing the hype around this thing had me expecting the world.

It’s been many years since I owned a Kemper (which I loved) and the UI is certainly much easier to use than a HX Stomp, Fractal AX8 or AxeFx 2… But those also offer incredibly responsive GUIs on desktop that offset that burden and make grabbing presets and editing them more enjoyable than it is trying to manage everything on the QC. Being able to search for presets and favorite them easily on the QC is great, on screen keyboard for saving presets or captures, awesome (but not the most responsive).

Overall I am not blown away by the QC, definitely quite the opposite… But it does sound and feel amazing to play and at the end of the day that’s what matters most. Hoping that it gets improved over time through updates, the most recent firmware update may have made the device less responsive though.

1 Like

After months of waiting, I finally got my Quad Cortex and used it for the last couple of weeks. The screen is fine. It’s not a high-resolution 4k display, and an increased resolution display in this form would probably add to the hardware costs and, therefore, retail price.

My gripes with the display are the questionable user interface decisions. How presets are organised is confusing, I find it challenging to find things—lacking in settings, confusing effect UI’s. They’re all fixable in software, and I’m sure that when we get things like the new file manager, it will change.

I haven’t experienced any severe latency issues with the response of the display. At times the device will lag depending on the size of a patch or what you’re doing, but these are software issues as I’ve never seen the CPU even bet last 50% with big patches.

Eventually, we will have an editor, and many will choose not to use the touch display for editing, so any issues with the display interface will become non-issues in the long run.

1 Like

I agree that the touch display lives up to the expectation I have to such a device. It doesn’t have the nuances or resolution of a smartphone but is by far good enough to let you navigate the UI.

The UI itself needs some getting used to, and some options are not very intuitive. But after a few hours of playing around with it and having to look up some minor details I’m more efficient at playing around with presets than I am with the Kemper PC app. Admittedly, managing and grouping presets is a bit of a pain compared to the Kemper PC app, but definetly doable if with a bit more effort and an improved file system is apparently being worked on.

For me the only big issue is, that I need to keep the QC in a place where I can easily see the display and reach it insted of being able to do everithin on my PC. But that is definetly something I can live with compared to the other advantages of the QC.