Relative Volume of Amps

Lately there was a lot of discussions about “proper” input level for NDSP plugins and also QC. So I have input level for my Fender Strat with vintage noiseless pickups set to 0 dB in QC, which means I have to crank up or boost most of the amps in QC. But that’s probably okay for some amps with my low output pickups.

I do understand real amps have different parameters and properties and QC reflects this behavior. However some QC amps are really quiet or weirdly balanced, even though their real life counter parts are crazy loud.

For instance, Twin Reverb is much louder than Deluxe Reverb in real life, however in QC the Twin is MUCH more quiet than Deluxe Reverb with the same settings, so the other way around than real amps. This same behavior can be seen with AC15 vs AC30 (both Top Boost).

Also for the JC120, I have to crank up the volume to 9 to have the same loudness as AC15 at volume 5.

Morgan SW50, I have to set gain to 10 and master to 6 to have usual volume and still the amp doesn’t even start breaking up. Is this a real life behavior?

Is there any explanation for this or is it just an inconsistency in modeling?

1 Like