Question About Quad Cortex Output Clipping

Hi everyone,

I’m new to the forum and this is my first post. I’ve been working with my Quad Cortex unit, trying to create specific presets for each song in my set. In doing so, I’ve come across something that I’m hoping to get some advice on.

While adjusting these presets, I’ve noticed that the output meter occasionally goes into the red zone. Is this digital clipping, and is it something I should be concerned about? Should I aim to keep the output below the red at all times for the best sound quality, or are occasional red peaks okay?

Any insights or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Yes, red zone on the output is where digital clipping happens. Avoid doing that as much as possible.

There’s not a “one-size-fits-all” approach to keeping your output signal out of the red. You have a ton of options for adjusting gain throughout your signal chain. Just keep an eye on what changes you make and how that all stacks up by the time the signal reaches the ouput.

I use a lot of modulation effects like chorus, flanger, phaser… You’d be surprised at how much gain those can add.

2 Likes