Quad Cortex Development Update #51 & Plugin Development Update

On Wednesday July 31st, we released CorOS 3.0.0 with Plugin Compatibility and Cortex Control 1.1.0. The response to this update has been overwhelmingly positive and we cannot thank you enough for your patience and your kind words. This release shattered any records held by previous updates with respect to the number of users who updated on release day!

We also announced that we are giving away a free plugin to all Quad Cortex owners who update to CorOS 3.0.0 until Wednesday August 28th.

Finally, we introduced TINA, our data collection robot, and published a follow-up article and research paper explaining how we’ve merged mechanical robotics with machine learning in more detail.

In the coming weeks, we will release CorOS 3.0.1, patching any issues that are found in CorOS 3.0.0, while simultaneously finishing up the remaining tasks for CorOS 3.1.0.

The future of CorOS updates

CorOS 3.0.0 was our most significant update to date, overhauling much of the system’s architecture. With this update now complete, we’re shifting gears to deliver more frequent releases, including new devices like amplifiers and effects for all users. We understand some users have concerns that Plugin Compatibility might put new devices behind a paywall, but we want to make it absolutely clear: that’s not the case.

We’re proud to introduce Plugin Compatibility to the Quad Cortex, marking the first time a modeling company has effectively integrated the worlds of native software and embedded hardware. Tens of thousands of our Quad Cortex users who are also plugin users have been eager to access their favorite plugin sounds on their hardware. For those who aren’t plugin users, rest assured, we’re adding plenty of new devices directly to the Quad Cortex.

Our philosophy is clear: when we create an exceptional device, we aim to bring that technology to the Quad Cortex whenever possible.

We want to emphasize that plugins are not a paywall or DLC for the Quad Cortex. Instead, they offer a way for our hardware and software to coexist harmoniously. If you’re not interested in plugins, you won’t miss out on essential features. However, if you do use plugins, Plugin Compatibility gives you the power to replicate those sounds and signal chains on your Quad Cortex.

Finally, a reminder: future plugin updates will be ported in parallel with upcoming CorOS updates. Soldano SLO-100 X and Fortin Nameless Suite X are coming in CorOS 3.1.0, and the next major update will include Parallax X and Archetype: Nolly X.

Future X updates

We are pleased to announce that the next X updates will be Archetype: Cory Wong X and Archetype: Petrucci X. We look forward to sharing them with you.

25 Likes

Awww yisss. Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

No offense Dan, but that’s what have been said in the past : once after the ‘component shortage that cause NDSP to source other components and rewrite parts of the OS underlying architecture’ (circa 1.4) and a second time just after the 2.0 release … (‘team is working full steam’, etc…)

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to sound like a douchbag, but it reminds me (and probably other people) the famous ‘aggressive update plans’ sentence.

Anyway, this Dev Update #51 seems to be a very positive one, the next few months will be interesting !

Thanks for your communication.

2 Likes

Could you elaborate on what it means for future plugin updates to be ported in parallel with upcoming CorOS updates?

Very nice to adress those who had concerns (like me) that the new effects, amps etc would possibly be replaced by dlc kind of thing ! :+1:

Very positive news, now let see what happens and come, for me the QC is not near where it could be (imo), I’m still thinking that the QC when will be mature, will go to the territory of the best brand in each effetcs etc (strymon, eventide, meris etc…)

I also can’t wait for the synth block !! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It just means that new ‘X’ versions of plug-ins are being worked on separately from new CorOS versions that will incorporate completed X plug-ins.

For example, the CorOS 3.1.0 will include compatibility for SLO-100 X and Nameless X, while Cory Wong X and Petrucci X are being developed.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing and keeping us posted on future endeavors. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification.

One question though, will amps and effects that are in plugins (granophyre, IIc+, various Fortin, synth etc) but not in the QC be added as QC devices down the road?

Edited!

2 Likes

Gojira X and Plini X each have several amps and effects ported over to QC as individual blocks (must own the plug-in license to use them). Gojira overdrive, Plini compressor, etc. I would expect the same for all other plug-ins when QC makes them compatible.

1 Like

@Dan, thank you for this incredibly reassuring post!!!

Everything from what sounds like a continuing initiative to advance mechanical robotics and machine learning to the fact that Neural does not intend to exploit a paywalled paradigm, is music to my ears. I am truly excited about the future of the QC.

Thank you!

3 Likes

Just as I was thinking. This was no small task, and I’m sure it has taken them all of this time to get it sorted. This had to be done first before MIDI implication could be done. Now that the OS is finished, it should be possible to write the code for it. Realistically, it will still depend on fixing any issues with the new OS first before they can start it though. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: they have few to fix!

From what I’ve seen so far, the new OS looks good ( yes, I have updated already lol ). I’ve tried some of the new features, and overall so far, I’m very happy with it. After playing around with Gojira X, I realize that I will like the PCOM feature better than I thought. Extra stoked now for Soldano X!

Thank you again NDSP! I appreciate all the hard work, and your continued dedication to making this happen!

2 Likes

Nice! Can’t wait for Parallax and Petrucci. You guys are the No Man’s Sky of modelers :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Cory Wong! Woo-hoo! Tone King next please and a ring modulator. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s the plugin I’m waiting for most eagerly. Question: if I get the current non-X version now, will the license be upgraded to X, or will I need to buy the X version again?

1 Like

X updates are free. No new license needed.

2 Likes