Putting a gate on the FX loop?

I have a pedal in my effects loop that is quite noisy on its own, and it’s not a true bypass pedal so even when the pedal itself is “bypassed” it still adds quite a bit of hiss to the signal chain. This happens without the QC, it’s just the nature of the pedal. So I’m trying to figure out how to put a noise gate on the FX Loop itself, so that it doesn’t add noise to my silence when I’m not playing. I already have the input gate on the guitar going, but this noise is coming from after that in the signal chain and therefore unaffected.

The FX Loop is on path 1 and path2 is totally open so I could do a split/mix but those have always confused me on how they really work in terms of blending the signal, I don’t want any parallel chains here.

Can you just bypass the FX loop entirely? That way you can leave the pedal on and switch it in and out with the QC and have zero noise from it when not in use.

Assigning the loop to a switch on the QC in stomp mode does exactly this, but then the effect is bypassed, and I might use more pedals in the FX loop. The problem is when the loop is on there is noise, and if I am in scene mode I can’t click off the FX Loop efficiently, so I normally want to control the pedals in the FX loop on their own. The thing is that I want to be able to be in scene mode and turn on/off this pedal in the FX loop, so noise is an issue.

If I understand you routing correctly, you could place the fx loop on a parallel path and route the signal to whichever path you want by assigning a scene controller in the splitter mixer. Then you can add a noise gate that only affects the loop.

Add a ‘Simple Gate’ or a ‘Utility Gate’ block (under the ‘Utility’ category) after your FX loop?

Oh, I just saw you don’t want a parallel chain. You could place a gate block after the loop and control the bypass with scenes. You could also use loop 2 for just this pedal and control that with scenes.

I recommend learning to use parallel routing, as it can be very convenient in these cases.

This case is exactly where I don’t want parallel processing. A pedal in the FX loop is a pitch shifter. I DEFINITELY don’t want my dry signal blended at all because you’d get two pitches. I want to be able to just switch lanes from the top to the bottom, and I don’t want to be forced into scenes to do it.

Guess I have to wait for an update that lets me assign whatever I want to stomps like the Command Center in the Helix (the most requested feature on the forum, I believe).

The fx loop can be routed in parallel without mixing the signals. In this case you could put the loop in a parallel path with a noise gate, and if you want to use stomp mode to switch between them, you could assign a stomp to toggle a gain block on both rows with the level at zero. This way you can mute the other path with a stomp switch.