Dry-control for Looper

Add a dry-control to the Looper to be able to run it in a parallel FX loop and/or send it to a separate output.

Have you checked the routing for the Looper X? On the Looper X block, page 2 on the far right, you can route to the grid, INs, OUTs, returns and MULTI etc.

Yep! However, my understanding is that thereā€˜s still no way to mute the dry signal inside the LooperX independent of the routing. So independent of placement on the grid or In/Out-Blocks the Looper will always output the loop as well as the dry signal.

Iā€™m not sure what you mean, where are you placing your Looper X block within the signal chain? Depending on how you have your signal chain setup, you should not be hearing any dry-signal unless you want to etc.

Maybe you need to use a second row combined with a splitter/mixer etc?

Ok, can you give me an example of how to set up the looper so that no dry signal passes through? If itā€™s possible Iā€™ll delete the thread!

Lets attack it another way, when you say dry signal are you referring to the DI or amp/drive but no FX etc?

Hypothetically, letā€™s assume you meant dry = no FX, in that case you could add a splitter to another row after your amp/drives etc., in that new row you could add the looper and set that rows output to wherever you needed.

Yeah, I donā€˜t mean no FX but DI signal. Letā€™s make it a very easy example in where I only use the Quad Cortex as a looper with no other blocks on the grid - is it possible to only have the loop signal on an output (so for example when I record a loop I donā€˜t hear a signal until I finish the record and the loop playback begins)?

I think I am understanding now (I hope :grinning:)
There would be no way currently to ā€˜notā€™ hear a signal until the looper playback begins.
Iā€™m interested in what your use case would be for that?

This is theoretically possible today with MIDI, but not on the device itself with the current params/UI of the looper.

For example, you could setup scenes with a gain block after the looper or just muting the output block for the row the looper is on and then send a MIDI message to toggle to that scene and then engage record on the looper. And then for your ā€œplayā€ stomp, switch to a scene where the audio passes, and send the play command for the looper.

Yes, it requires a MIDI controller, but it would get you there today. I think part of the problem with implementing something like this on the device is how do you indicate you want to have a ā€œsilentā€ recording vs a normal one given the current available footswitches?

You could have an overall toggle that says ā€œmute during recordā€ (but not overdubs/punches) but that might not be what you want ALL the time but thereā€™s no easy way to ā€œtoggleā€ that via the available stomps.

Ultimately, if you want something like ā€œmute during recordā€ for the looper as suggested, Iā€™d probably delete this thread and make a new one with that title - itā€™s more likely to get votes as I think the current title and description is going to confuse people for what youā€™re really asking for.

1 Like

Well, I donā€™t want a mute during recording functionality but a simple dry-control. The looper is already pretty advanced but lacks this basic functionality. Which is surprising because all other time-based effects (ie Delay, Reverb, Freeze) actually already have one. Iā€˜ve thought about potential workarounds like the one outlined above but ultimately they all have too many drawbacks for me to work. Regarding the title, Iā€˜m not sure whatā€˜s confusing about it but Iā€˜m happy to change it to something else if that would make it easier to understand (apparently the word wet/dry in relation to a looper is not as common as it is with Delay/Reverb effects).

I would like to realize the following use case: My signal chain is Guitar ā€”> Overdrive Pedals ā€”> Lehle Parallel with QC in the loop ā€”> Tube Amp. I also have an output from the QC to the FOH/Audio-Interface.
In my signal to the Tube Amp the analog dry signal never getā€™s digitized and the QC only adds Delay/Reverb/Freeze/Looper in a parallel loop. In the signal to the FOH/Audio-Interface the QC adds the dry signal to the Delay/Reverb/Freeze/Looper and runs it through amp sim and IRs. To be able to have all the effects of the QC in a parallel FX loop I need all of them to have a dry-control to be able to mute the dry signal (otherwise Iā€˜ll have a double signal with phasing issues in my tube amp sound).