Please update the Recto amp models

None of the models for the rectos get anywhere close to real thing. The JP2C, amazing, Lone Star also great, the Rectos are just so round, woofy, and inarticulate, I’d almost rather they not be in the QC because they are unusable without slamming the front end and eq’ing after. Thank you.

I would try some decent IRs from YA, they will really wake the recto models and captures wake up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I find the Tremoverb models quite good. It’s basically a 2-channel Recto. Orange vintage and red modern channel.

2 Likes

are you putting an OD in front, like you have to in real-life?

1 Like

I do - TS9 neural factory capture.

1 Like

You’re just saying other brands do cabs better. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the QC. The standard cabs should be comparable to begin with.

1 Like

I use the Celestion V30 (from Celestion actual) IRs on everything. They sound great with the my captures and many amp models. I the recto models should flat just be better than they are.

1 Like

Yeah for sake of science I’ve compared the QC with a PS700 into a 4x12 v30 cab to Recto head I borrowed for captures into the same cab, not even close. The same rough voice is there, but the amp model needs work. To get it similar I have to run the master at sub 1, like .5 - .7 seems to be the sweet spot, bass basically off, and presence much higher than I should, AND on top of that I use the rodent (rat) as treble booster in front and cut eveything under 80hz after the block. Then I the block wakes and starts to sound closer to an actual recto.

I thought me saying slamming the front end was pretty clear? Yes, I used the green 808 tone @ 10 OD @ 0 level @ 7-10. The amp does wake up, the point I’m making is that the amp block without any help is very far from a recto by itself, in real life.

My sentiments exactly, well almost. I love the QC and solely use the JP2C model blocks. They are wonderful, it’s just that some other models, like the Recto and SLO need some help, those ones in particular the low character. Really, I feel like the amp suite plugins should be given to QC users, or just replace the amp existing amp models in the QC. I get paying for the archetype plugins, but amp model plugins, they belong in the QC baseline.

1 Like

Try a low cut in front of the Recto models. It may help.

1 Like

It’s not a matter of helping out the amp model, I can get them to sound great. It’s that the standalone recto amp models need work.

1 Like

Not really, I’m just used to using specific IRs that I have and will continue to use for ‘my’ recto tones as they always work for me. Otherwise, it’s a suggestion which you can take and use (or not).

1 Like

The Recto models sounded dead on to my Dual Rectifier Rev G - the trick (and reason most people hate them) is because they are running the master volume too high. If you do that on a real Rectifier they sound like ass too.

Try setting the master to 0.9 and turning the level up later in the chain. Itll sound way bigger and tighter. And of course, remember to keep the bass a little lower than you normally would.

So many modellers have their default settings with a cranked master volume, which on high gain amps usually sounds dreadful. Keep it low, take advantage of the headroom of the power amp and youll have bigger lows, crisper highs, tighter tones.

8 Likes

Yep, I liked between .5 - .7 for master, too flubby over 1 on the master for sure. Even then still doesn’t quite nail it or get as close as it should.

I agree with you man. I think the JP2C and the kraken are the best models in there and maybe the lonestar for clean. The Recto is just awful and needs an upgrade.

1 Like

I think most of the stock amps and effects need an upgrade. I don’t know if it’s just me, but the plugins and their effects sound a lot more dimensional. The best way I can explain it is that the stock amps and effects in the QC almost sound like they run at a lower sample rate than the plugins, although we’re not privy to that information, so I can’t say for certain, but my ears hear a big difference in clarity. I just feel like the plugins are much more mix-ready.

1 Like

The Kraken is REALLY good! Remember, these are two of the newer models…

I think what’s slowly turning me off the QC is that other products do what it does for cheaper, even if you got multiple units. Tonex just brought out a mini pedal which looks amazing so you have the capture tech covered. Then for recording, its annoying that everything has to be re-amped or run through the QC unit vs tonex or helix, etc. which has the software which you can just add to a DI, and fx are better in the DAW anyway. Then there’s Fractal which has better modelling. The only benefit I see is if you’re playing live but if you aren’t the unit is wasted.

Great thing is, we are all entitled to our opinion. :slight_smile:
The QC undeniably offers one of the best UIs / form factor and with PCOM around the corner it will be closer than ever to the gamechanger it planned to be. TONEX is still experimenting with their software and workflow (which has improved since first launch) but still a long ways off then there is FAS which has the worst UI (for me and my workflow specifically). Tone wise, I think FAS/NDSP are on equal ground excluding the time-based FX. Then add the built in capturing ability and the comparisons get even harder.