Parallax wish list

Hey folks, thought I’d throw my wish list for Parallax out there just in case.

1. The tuner obviously, I suspect that will be in the next build.
  2. A better way to see the actual settings on the graphic EQ and maybe a double click to zero feature. It’s really hard for me to see when I have the sliders at 0.
  3. A way to disable the cab section but KEEP the mid and high signal. Not sure why disabling the cab turns off all of the mid and high portions of the signal since a DI signal is pretty common when recording modern bass. Most of the presets in DG suite have no cab/IR enabled but this isn’t really possible with Parallax for some reason.
4 Likes

Along with #3 suggestion by @christian … more mainstream Ampeg amp type presets. Everything seems targeted towards hard core and metal. Even with the distortion on mid and high set very low, there is still a lot of fuzz/buzz in the signal.

2 Likes

The ML Soundlab Ampg IRs warm up Parallax quite a bit. Worth a shot if you haven’t tried them before.

I own some Ampeg ST IRs … I’ll give them a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Without derailing this thread I would second the use of third party IRs for this plugin (Red Wires SVT 8x10 for example).

In so far as suggestions for updating this plugin I suggest MIDI functionality and a tuner to be realistic, a tweeter feature a la the Darkglass Ultra plugin but different ‘flavour’ distortions would be a dream update.

Although the Parallax works perfectly for what I do, I would suggest something similar to the toggles on the darkglass pedals where you have like hi and low gain distortions and hard clip and softclip for instance

I agree. I passed on it even on sale because of this. Parallel processing is still quite useful even when tamed down more than this plugin will tame. I also agree with other suggestions in the thread. It’s a great plugin for grinding bass, but it could appeal to a much wider audience imo with a few updates.

1 Like

I’d like to add the ability to adjust the mid band like you can the high and low bands. The sweet spot will be different for different basses and even more so different mixes

Agreed on this. I thought I could make it work by dialing down the Input a bit, and it does help, but ultimately, I want a cleaner bass most of the time and Parallax just won’t do it in its current form. Would love to see an update to it, but I may end up getting rid of it if it stays as is. Incredible for gainy bass tones, but I don’t really go that heavy in the bass department.

Anyone know if the Neural DSP team monitors our feedback here?!? I would like to see this thread live on because while Parallax is good, it feels like a one trick pony, relegated to the Metal genre when it could be a fucking amazing bass plugin overall.

I personally agree with most things I’ve read on this thread. Especially an Ampeg head and cab. Also a more grungey fuzz type distortion for the mids, akin to the bass big muff.

Hopefully the Neural crew reads this stuff and works on it.

Cheers all

To make sure the thread doesn’t get derailed, I have other additional problems I noticed with the plugin.

With the newer Darkglass amplifiers, you had more different frequency band controls past 1.5kHz but Parallax’s highest mid frequency band is 1.5kHz and then it goes right into the high shelf. I personally don’t like that. I really would love it if they added a 3kHz mid-band control.

I also really don’t like how there’s only one cab available for the cab sim and how few the mic choices are. There are even more varieties of microphones that get used when dialling bass tones.

Also at the risk of sounding like a broken record, a lot of the older plugins all have this exact same problem where the cab sim sounds much harsher and unrounded than it should, making the cab sim sound hella unrealistic. They keep sounding like nails on a chalkboard and I was seriously disappointed when I discovered that when Archetype Plini X was released, the exact same obvious problems were still there. The only two things that were improved on it was a graphic EQ and the appearance, and the vast majority of the complaints I had with the original Plini plugin are still there.

It was not until the Soldano plug where they started to get their stuff together as far as the high gain stuff went, but even when they released patches for the older plugs they still feel like complete waste of money to me.

Hi,
I would have some suggestions to improve Parallax, too:
1.: Cabsim module bypass as stated above is kind of a must.
2.: would be great if we could route the Lows and Lows&Highs into separate output from the plugin.
Like some of the crossovers we are able to route Bass to channels 1/2 and Mids&Highs to 3/4 for example.
3.: a variable mid frequency and added bands for the highs on the graphic eq would be awesome.