Noise/Hissing Sound whenever playing

@ivan.da_ros The new version of Archetype: Nolly will include improvements to the noise gate. Pretty sure it will solve your issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the info, i will wait for it!

Cheers.

2 Likes

I had the same issue. Turns out a second cable in input 2 of my Scarlett 2i2 that was causing it. Turning off input 2 in Neural killed the hiss.

1 Like

Same problem here. It’s very disappointing.

I tried different guitars and cables. I’m using Boss RC300 Loop Station as a interface… maybe that’s the problem.

Same problem. Using the trial download for now. I get a static pop pretty frequent. Changed out cables and what equipment I can. When I use my Helix floor I don’t have any issue. Only when going straight into the PreSonus interface and using the plugin. Get it in the monitors and my headphones. Also not showing up in the recording in Cubase either so far that I can tell. It’s clearly audible when live through the DAW or standalone interface. Love the tones and want to buy the plug in just not sure yet.

Really new to the whole plugin (and recording as well) so I’m sure there’s something I can do.

@Gary I think your problem is unrelated to the issue discussed on this thread. Clicks and pops are symptoms of performance issues. I suggest you go through the optimization guide if you’re on PC, making sure to set your audio settings at 44.1 kHz / 128 samples.

1 Like

Thanks @Gonzalo. I just came across that topic you posted ans was looking through it. I am on a Dell Windows 10 laptop with Core i7 but some of the options within the control panel windows are different so I’ll have to poke around and see if I can sort it out. I’m not a computer guru by any stretch but usually with the help of Google/YouTube I figure things out most times.

I really appreciate the reply. and link Thanks!

@Gary No problem! Pay special attention to the Latencymon part. DPC Latency issues are quite recurrent with laptops. Sometimes, the fix is as easy as disabling Wifi/Bluetooth or the onboard audio.

1 Like

Mate this was an absolute life saver!! I was just jamming around learning the tosin abasi thumb slap technique on my guitar chain that i use for my professional album recordings (new djent album on the way woo woo) and i was noticing some hissing… i usually get SOME hissing but not this much, so i did a bit of googling and found your answer. As soon as i got up and moved over to my bed and sat and played there i could ring out notes even on my 9th string for a good 10 seconds before i got abit of a hiss/the noise gate kicked in! Turns out it was because my second PC was turned on and the interference was cocking up the EMG 909 pickups, so thank you so so much for that!! I never considered the possibility of interference from a source not directly linked to my audio setup, i was checking wires and cables and audio inputs, all sorts of random crap slowly going mad lol. THANK YOU!

Hey all, I know this thread is a bit old but I just semi-solved this issue for myself. I first noticed that cutting the 8k in the EQ in the plugin reduced the hissing a bit. I then loaded up an eq in ableton and messed around with a cut in the 8k area until I got a sound i liked with manageable hiss. There is still a bit of noise but shouldn’t be noticeable in a mix.

Definitely the noisiest of all the plugins so far. It’s not super bad on the high gain settings, although I have to gate the hell out of it to get a crunch without a tail. The cleans, as they are, are almost unusable without fundamentally altering the tone (dropping the 8 and 12k). Playing any sort of intro with the clean tone on here is almost a write-off…and that’s on all of my guitars, including my Strat with the Fishmans installed (basically an active humbucker in a Strat skin). Even with the gate up it buzzes like mad as soon as you play a note.

I love the tones on this plugin, but the noise is just such a problem. Be nice to see a core fix on a factory setup this big, rather than spending the money to end up doing all the work myself.

1 Like

Hey, Ive visited this thread probably 100 times, and done exactly the same as you and have the same issues, did you ever resolve them?

Im using archtype abasi. Signal chain is guitar-focusrite-PC. swapped and tested all kinds of cables there is.

Yes same here. Very depressing. I just got the archetype Nolly and the clean tones are often unusable for a recording. There is much talk about preamp noise but if it was preamp noise, you would hear it even with the plug in bypassed. My pre’s are clean and my noise floor is easily 144dB away. There is more noise than when recording an actual amp. The gate is not a solution because the gate opens when you start playing; so you can pick a preset like “prestine clean” and soon as you pluck a note you hear this bloom of white noise sprinkled from 500-10k+. Eq is also not a solution as I do not desire to effect the timbre of my guitar and the noise is broadband and can not be notched out.

This is not a gating issue.

Hi there guys. I’ve had this problem as well and found an obvious thing I was overlooking that fixed this problem straight away.
Turn off your phantom power (48volt switch) on the inputs you’re using on your interface.
Immediately all the noise was gone. It’s amazing how much quieter it is.
I hope this helps someone because it made me a very happy man.

1 Like

I’m experiencing the same problem. I own different DSP plugins (Abasi, Gojira and Soldano) and only the Abasi makes a terrible hissing sounds. Sadly it is totally unusable :frowning: The noise gate solves a bit this problem but when you touch the strings you can hear that horrible hiiiisssssshhh…
The same thing do not happen with the other plugins. I’m starting to regret buying it… :frowning:

Switching off the phantom power on the audiobox does the trick for me. Even with the noisegate set to 0 no hiss, no noise. Super-tip!

Yeah, I would never keep phantom 48v running due to accidentally plugging in something that isn’t a condenser mic etc.

Maybe I’ve found the source of the problem and a solution…

I use to play my guitar sitting in front of my desk. Over the desk lies my MacBookPro, some think like 40 cm from my guitar. I’ve noticed that if I move my position changing my sitting and not “looking” at the computer the hissing sound dropped a lot. So I made some tests and I’ve discovered that my laptop has some interference with the magnetic fields of my guitar pickups (Ibanez Universe 777BK, pickups configuration: H-S-H ).
So just try to move your guitar to see what happens. DO not point your pickups to the keyboard/cpu/core of your computer.

I also must say that I have this issue only with Neural DSP softwares. Other guitar plugins do not behave like this.

I hope to help you guys.

Hi @AkhRa78 and thanks for your solutions! I was helping a friend configure his setup recently and also discovered his overhead LEDs were the source of some similar weird interference. In this case, his PC was picking up the interference not his plugins but something else to possibly note. Thank you for the suggestions!

1 Like

Small update on this issue…
I’ve changed my computer (I’m an iOS Developer) and I’m using now an M2 MacBook Pro… the issue disappeared.
With this CPU I have no interferences at all.
Now, finally, the plugin is really super :smiley:

1 Like