I don’t have experiences using midipedals with Neural DSP Plugins so far and I actually burried the plan of using one.
I decided to try automating the midi program changes using Reaper DAW and sending click track to our drummer. We will see how it works for us in the next rehearsals.
Programming the DAW to do midi (preset) changes was really easy, but I had problems at first 'cause I didn’t know, that VST3 wouldn’t support this. I strugled with this problem for two days… Everything were setup as it should, so the midi changes would work. But because I had VST3 version selected they didn’t. At last I tried the AU version of the Neural DSP Plugin and now the Midi commands are working perfectly.
So this is how I do it:
- Make a track for Neural DSP Plugin
- Make a track for MIDI and make it as a subtrack for the Neural DSP Plugin track.
- Make a New Send from the midi track to Neural DSP track.
- Set Program Change commands as you like inside the Neural DSP Plugin. (I use preset changes)
- Insert a new MIDI item to the MIDI track.
- Double Click the midi item and a window pops up. From the down left corner: set “Bank/Program Select” setup selected.
- Add your midi commands by double clicking the timeline grid inside the midi item and make sure they correspond what you have entered inside the Neural DSP plugin.
- After this hit Play and check, that the midi commands work.
By typing this guide, it may look like a lot of work. But in real life this is pretty fast and easy job to do.