Need Ducking feature on all Delays

All of the delays in the QC would be greatly enhanced by adding a ducking feature. The Kemper and Axe FX has this and its indispensable. With a ducking feature you can prevent the “clicking” that occurs on delay repeats from the pick attack. Then only the tails of the signal get delayed which creates a beautiful sustaining smear effect. For me this is the most important new feature - I use it on every delay in my Kemper. Kemper has a big edge over QC because of this. Please please enable this!

On reverb blocks that would be an awesome feature as well! :+1:

2 Likes

Yes - I totally agree it should be on Reverbs as well. Also, I want to mention that ducking is extremely important when playing fast solos with a delay because without the ducking, the fast note repeats will conflict with the dry signal and create a mess. The solos will sound fantastic and clear when the fast notes come through and only the tails are delayed.

4 Likes

Ducking should be added on every effect block just like the Kemper along with a Mix fader as well. It makes the Kemper overcome many of its limitations. PLEASE NEURAL.

4 Likes

Very good idea and definitely a very useful feature.

The TREMOLO and VIBRATO could also use it… it ads so much free hands expression. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD JUST ADD IT TO ALL THE EFFECTS ALONG WITH A MIX FADER

2 Likes

Same here. On the KPA I liked how you can strum chords and the delay or verb mix subtly drops, but then the ambience functions like normal when you’d want it to: when playing staccato, single notes, and letting a chord or note ring out. Less tap dancing in a song as the ambience drop is as subtle as you’d like it to be, not like something is being noticeably turned on or off. With the KPA it was available with all delays, verbs, and mods. I found it useful with tremolo as well. Rather than as a new algorithm, like a “ducking delay” with limited features as found on the Helix, a parameter that’s found in all of those effect types. Don’t think it uses much DSP either as it’s really just a gate for the effects trail.

I wholeheartedly agree, and to be honest I was a little surprised not to see a ducking delay already available in the QC. My understanding is that adding a ducking parameter to every delay in the unit isn’t really in line with its character, my guess is that the product team would rather create a dedicated ducker delay, but hear me out for a second: delay is probably one of the most important sonic sculpting tools for guitar players, so a flexible delay unit capable of delivering most of the features we need would be extremely interesting for both existing and potential users.

I would suggest adding maybe two new delay effects, a simple ducker with a basic set of parameters and also something a little more comprehensive with the following features:

desirable: 2 delay voices, with manual/sync to either tempo OR (for the 2nd voice) to the 1st voice
required: low pass and high pass
required: ducker with attenuation, sensitivity AND detection input selector with two options: module input or chain input (because for lead tones ducking behaves like an on/off switch if the detection takes place at the delay input)
highly desirable: modulation with rate, depth and optionally waveform

Agree with this!

A ducking parameter on something like a tremelo (as with kemper) allows the initial chord to kick whether its in the peak or trough of the wave, which means you get a way more dynamic sounding tremelo. Ducking is just super useful across many effects. I really hope to see it implemented.

True!!!
I also need ducking so much!!

I believe that all effects, like the Kemper, should have a ducking option. That would be amazing.

Hello, I am investigating whether or not I should purchase a Quad Cortex. Usually I use few effect but reverb and delay are important for me. I really need the option to duck these effects, to keep clarity. I did a google search and found little information about ducking on the Quad Cortex. Also the manual does not answer my questions, so thought let’s make a post here.

On the Neural DSP site I did read: “ Dynamics parameters have been added to some of the existing Delay devices. To enable the Dynamics parameters, set the DYN MODE parameter to Duck or Gate”.

That gives some information. On 3 delays ducking is an option. My questions are: 1) is ducking also possible on reverbs? 2) will other delays also get the ducking option in the future?

Thanks!

You cannot duck reverbs or most delays for that matter. I would not expect Neural to add ducking to any existing effects, either. They might add it to some of them I guess? If something that has not been implemented yet is important to you, I would advise you not to buy the Quad Cortex. This is the same for any modeler, really.

Line 6 doesn’t have ducking in every delay/reverb, either. Fractal does have ducking in all reverb types and in most delay types, apart from ten tap and megatap delays. I don’t know about other companies.

Thanks for your reply. Well, ducking of delays and reverbs is very important for music and production in general. I am a bit surprised the Quad Cortex does not have it. But if it is not there, and if Neural DSP has no plans to implement this I will have to reconsider the Quad Cortex. It is a bit of a pity, because I like it very much….

Ducking is an incredibly important feature on all delays and reverbs, but especially delays. I have both Kemper and Axe FX as well as Quad Cortex. Kemper and Axe FX have this feature. You absolutely need ducking to get a nice clean delay of the tail signal without hearing the OBNOXIOUS PICK ATTACK CLICK on every repeat! Why is this not obvious?? Why is this not a priority?? Try playing an acoustic guitar thru the quad with delays and you’ll see how acoustics sound terrible because of the clicks! Almost unusable.

1 Like

I feel adding an adjustable ducking feature is a necessity, it adds a level of polish and class. This is a very useful function.

Do employees of Neural DSP read these posts? And if so, can they give feedback on the request to add ducking on delays/reverb?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Agreed. Please add this!

Some kind of status for requests would be awesome. Like “Open”, “In Review”, “Work in Progress” and “Implemented” / “Won’t Implement”. Would take out a lot of guesswork.

6 Likes