My attempt at a Boss OC-3 / OC-5 effect on the QC

I’ve been playing with recreating the “bass tones only on the first few strings” effect of the Boss OC-5 with the QC and I’ve got something pretty close that I’d like to share.

This preset uses the polyoctave plus 4 different EQ’s to carve out the higher tones and only pass the lowest bass frequencies. I’ve A/B’d this with my OC-5 and it’s extremely close. I’m posting it hoping that A) Someone else will get use out of it, and B) that someone more skilled with EQ’s and filters can help me reduce the number of blocks needed to create this effect.

I’ve also attempted using the split/crossover feature of the QC, but the filter doesn’t really seem to do anything except act as a tone knob. Maybe I’m using it wrong. Happy to hear any suggestions for how to improve this preset or to try out any variations that you want to upload.

Scenes A-D are Clean, Crunch, High Gain, Solo + the bass effect. Scenes E-H are the same but minus the bass. Cheers!

4 Likes

Thank you for this. I removed the the guitar to be replaced by my own set up, then changed the amp. The amp Neural sounded good but after I played around with the amps I found the CA 400+ Ch2 gave me more options and definition. Again thank you for all your effort in this. I’ve been looking for sometime to take my Boss OC-5 off my pedal board! Not exactly what I want but extremely useful :slight_smile:

Really glad you found this useful. If you make any tweaks that improve it, please feel free to post yours and share.

Have you tried or worked with the Parallax? I might download the free trial and try tone shaping what I have so far. I play in a duo. My wife plays drums, I play guitar bass together. We use tracks sometimes, but usually it’s me live on one guitar, so the bass tone is actually pretty important to our overall sound. I use to use 2 Roland VG-99’s and midi’d a bass channel to a Korg Kronos, so I’m used to really good bass tones. Got tired of carrying so much gear to a gig. QC is my future! :grinning: :+1:

Would you use Parallax through a laptop live on stage?

I’m also interested in the Dig Deep pedal. Haven’t found a demo of it with the player just playing chords, but it’s supposed to listen to your playing and generate a bass note based on your lowest note.

Could just run it in the FX loop block and shape it within the QC. My hesitancy is that it’s pricey, only ships from Italy, and there aren’t that many demos on youtube (no user created demos that I could find either).

That looks interesting, the same feature on the OC-5 didn’t work very well for me. There were always too many conflict’s so I would always end up switching back to just sub range. If you do try it, post your opinion, I’d be interested to hear how it turned out! I’m downloading the Paralax trial and will post what I find out! :+1: