How do I know which capture is which (EQ, gain, etc.)?

So I’m scrolling through the captures (currently focused on the JP-2C) and I’m trying to figure out if there’s some rhyme or reason to how they’re ordered. Is there any way to view the settings for each capture (EQ, gain, etc.) or is it already in some sort of order that I should be aware of?

My other question is, when/why would you use captures vs models (when both are available)? I’m sure there’s some advantage to captures, but the major disadvantage that I’m finding is the inability to accurately tweak the settings in the capture block. The EQ settings don’t quite respond the way I’d expect from a real amp or even a traditional amp sim/amp model in a plug-in or modeler.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out. I’ve heard from multiple people who prefer the captures vs the models but I’m trying to figure out why, and trying to choose which capture to use is a headache in itself when there are 20+ factory captures (plus the cloud) and it seems like they’re just randomly ordered with no apparent reasoning behind it.

They tend to be in order of increasing gain, but when there are a ton of them, it’s harder to tell what the differences are. Most likely EQ or any specific functions particular to that model. Probably they proceed in order of increasing gain, then start over again at a lower gain but with different EQ/presence/master/push-pull functions and go up from there. That seems to be what I’m hearing with the devices that have more than just a few basic captures.
Unfortunately no official info is provided as to the settings, and asking support seems to indicate there’s none coming.

As to why they’re preferred by some; they’re definitely not as tweakable- but if the specific settings they’re captured at work for you, they can really sound and feel like the gear you’re used to. I like the full-rig captures (combos or amp+ miked cabs)- they just have a very realistic response and tone. However, finding them can be a chore, as you’ve discovered. Places like this can help a lot: Quad Cortex - Captures and Presets Exchange | Facebook

I know this has been discussed at length elsewhere in this forum (not linking it here only because I’m feeling lazy at the moment), but currently there is no list of settings for each capture provided by NDSP.

“Is there any way to view the settings for each capture (EQ, gain, etc.) or is it already in some sort of order that I should be aware of?”

NDSP hasn’t released the settings used for the captures.

“My other question is, when/why would you use captures vs models (when both are available)?”

The difference between captures and models is significant, the capture is a capture of your amp/drive at specific settings and at a specific moment in time. Captures aren’t meant to be very tweakable, the EQ settings etc., aren’t designed to react like an amp model. Captures require less DSP therefore you can have multiple amp captures compared to amp models. With captures, you need to know what you are looking for and on top of that, the meta data should be filled out with detailed descriptions of how things are set up but not everyone includes those details.