Expression pedal: MAX RANGE and where to put?

Please advise!

I have two questions about Expressionpedal Volume control:

1. What is the best place to use Expressionpedal Volume control?

At this moment I use the expressionpedal on the output level of the last EQ just before the Delay and Reverb. This what the Reverb and Delay are not muted but ring out when I lower the volum2.

1. How to set the Expressionpedal for volume in a proper way in case it controls a parameter that isn’t set to 100%?

I’ll explain: currently I’ve configured it to control the OUT-level of an EQ block, but that parameter I’ve set to -5dB at preset level.

So I need to configure the expression pedals MAX RANGE so that it doesn’t exceed the -5dB in order to prevent the preset to get too loud.

However, the MAX RANGE is in percentages instead of dB and makes it difficult to set the MAX RANGE to the -5dB I’ve configured. I wish both were either in percentage or dB. How do you deal with this?

a remark to question 2: sometimes I notice even though I set the MAX RANGE properly, after having used the expression pedal the preset sounds louder that before I used it (so either I set the MAX RANGE to loud because of question 2, or it’s a bug).

Has anyone experienced this as well?

I hope my questions are clear and make sense and someone can help me out with this.

Where to place an expression pedal depends on what you’re trying to control. For example, place it towards the front of your signal chain, before distortion to control drive/saturation. Place it after the amp to control level without killing delay and reverb tails. Place it at the end of your signal chain to control your overall level.

Generally you want the expression pedal to be calibrated so its full sweep corresponds to 0 and 100%. This way the pedal will work consistently for different purposes.

Then when you control something with the pedal, you set the max and min values so they correspond to the 100% and 0% position of the pedal.

2 Likes