Difference between a built in amp model and a plugin

Could someone enlighten me on why I would want to purchase and install a plugin over a built-in amp model in my Quad Cortex. I don’t do any recording and only use the QC live.

1 Like

Well, so far you can’t anyway.
When they start porting them, it will just be a matter of preference. There might be a few fx or amp models in plugins that the QC doesn’t cover yet.

1 Like

Some of the plugins are Artist editions, where Neural worked with Artists to create a Namesake plugin. Others are recreations of specific Amps, etc. So if you like or own the plugin, you can use it with the QC.

I personally think the Built-in amps are really good. But will take a look at a couple of the plugins, maybe demo to see if it’s something I would want.

1 Like

That’s something they should offer, being able to demo the plugins on the QC. Maybe a two week trial.

It comes down to personal choice. I had the same questions when I got by QC 6 months ago. At that time I didn’t even know what a plugin is. And, you can try the plugins from your computer (assuming you have an interface between guitar and computer) and play around with them yourself and see if you like any of the sounds. For example, I found two sounds in the Cory Wong plugin that I wish I could gig live, so when they finish creating the functionality to allow me to get that plugin onto the QC, I will be able to do that.

2 Likes

The QC is actually an interface so no additional equipment needed.

1 Like

I tried that but for some reason I couldn’t use them as a stand alone product. My computer has a lot of latency so it won’t work.

From Development Update #41

Can I use a trial of a plugin on Quad Cortex?

No. This would require Quad Cortex to be always online for the trials to run, which we did not want to implement.

You can edit the plugins from the QC or desktop editor? And play these plugins through your QC? Or are you using your QC to use the plugin on your PC?

You can’t edit thru QC or CoCo, or play them ON the QC yet (coming soon, though.)

You can ‘reamp’ in either direction though- use the DI signal from the QC via USB to drive your computer’s plugins, OR send a plugin’s signal back thru the QC via USB.

Any indication of what the interface will be like on the QC once the plug-in compatibility is available? Will it look like the built-in factory amp blocks? Will be in the form of a full preset (pedals, amps, cabs, etc). Or will it display what we see in the plug-in graphically?

NDSP outlined the way it works in a previous dev update:

The plugin devicese will behave like “normal” QC blocks.
Presets can be transferred via Cortex Control.

1 Like

There is probably very little use for you if you only play it live and you should be able to get most of the tones similar to the plugins from the QC. I record more with the QC than use it live and have used the plugins too. Also some of the models in the plugins are better in my opinion, the soldano is an example. Some models on the QC are great but some really aren’t, the mesa dual rec is an example. Kraken is great, JP2C is great.

1 Like

The Tremoverb is much better than the Dual Rec on the QC.

1 Like