Delay feedback issue/question

I can’t find a delay or delay setting that really does 100% feedback.
Am I just not using the proper delay?
They all degrade away.
I’ve even tried putting a Stereo Digital DDL after a Dual DDL to see if I could get the notes to hang out longer without degrading or fading, but it isn’t working.

I’m already using the Looper for other purposes, so I want to do this with a DDL.

Does anyone have any thoughts about this?

thanks, Trey

I would check my input gate settings to see if it is killing the repeats. Turn it off to test. Also make sure your input signal is hot enough.

Many thanks. Nope, none of those are the issue.

TG

I see what you mean. The only delay model I could get this working on was the ‘Tape Delay’ with the feedback set to 100%. Maybe there is another model but with a quick test this was the only one I found.

To sustain repeats longer, the only solution I’ve found so far is to put a compressor after the delay, it can thicken and prolong the repeats.

Best to put these on a parallel split if you don’t want the main tone compressed. Mix at 100% on the delay will send only the repeats to the comp

Thanks Xush.
Yeah, I have basically been trying that solution. It doesn’t quite work because the bass channel runs through the same chain. So when I play a bass note it ducks the DDL.
It’s not terrible…I can still make something cool with it. Just not exactly what I was shooting for.

1 Like

Have you tried the Tape Delay? Works for me at 100% feedback. Infinite delays.

2 Likes

I thought I did. But let me test that one again.
Strange that tape emulation would do 100% feedback and digital delay wouldn’t.

I’ll let you know.

TG

OK. You are absolutely right.
The Tape Delay is the one.
Set Wow and Flutter off and high and low pass off.
And it does the trick.

Many thanks,

TG

2 Likes

Great! Glad it is working for you and those are some good tips for the parameter settings - for players looking for a more straightforward analog (probably closest) or digital delay sound.

The ‘Tape Delay’ model is designed to provide that warm, slowly degrading analog sound. Probably with an eye towards emulating tape stretching and getting worn over time, and a capstan motor slightly and randomly changing its speed. “Musical” imperfections that can sound great, but not as accurate as, for example, a digital delay.